From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Report on the Adventist World Ministers

From APD <APD_Info_Schweiz@compuserve.com>
Date 01 Jul 2000 09:35:03

Council

July 1, 2000
Adventist Press Service (APD)
Christian B. Schaeffler, Editor-in-chief
Fax +41-61-261 61 18
APD@stanet.ch
http://www.stanet.ch/APD
CH-4003 Basel, Switzerland

Report on the Adventist World Ministerial
Council 2000 in Toronto (June 25-29)

Toronto, Canada, 01.07.2000.    The World
Ministerial Council, organized by the Ministerial
Association of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
world headquarters, concluded on 29 June, at the
Metro Toronto Convention Centre in Ontario,
Canada.

"The Holy Spirit  has blessed our Council in
wonderful ways," says James A. Cress, General
Conference Ministerial Association secretary.
"Perhaps the greatest blessing came from praising
God for His marvellous grace. We have learnt from
each other as we fellowshipped cross-culturally--
stimulating new patterns of thought as we studied
together."

The purpose of this five-day Council (June 25-29)
was to provide ministers with instructive pastoral
techniques toward becoming dynamic spiritual
leaders.  With nearly two dozen plenary
presentations and over 150 different seminars,
ministers have received a comprehensive, active
learning, high content, high involvement, high
energy program that will enhance their ministry,
according to Cress.

The theme of the Council "The Way of the Cross
Leads Home," featured Walter L. Pearson, Jr.,
speaker-director of Breath of Life as keynote
speaker.  Each morning included a unique, family-
oriented plenary session with Dr. Archibald Hart,
Dean Emeritus of Fuller Theological Seminary's
School of Psychology, in Pasadena, California.

Commenting on the Council, Hart said: "This has
been a wonderful conference.  I have never been
around so many Adventists at one time. I'm very
impressed with the quality of the pastors that
I've encountered in this group, and their level of
commitment is quite phenomenal.  But I am also
concerned that, like pastors everywhere, they have
neglected to give a high priority to their own
personal lives. Many families are struggling; many
of them are overly stressed and burned out. At a
conference like this, I think it's a wonderful
time to refresh and rejuvenate, re-direct and
create a new direction for pastors, and I think
this conference has achieved that in a very great
way."

According to Pastor Nikolaus Satelmajer, associate
Ministerial secretary for continuing education and
professional growth seminars, 7,500 people
registered for this event, including pastors from
other Christian denominations.

"Our plenary speakers have represented every
division of the world church," informs Satelmajer.
"The number of churches represented seems to be
from about 100 countries. The seminar speakers we
have had are a broader group of presenters than
any other council that we have ever had, with more
of our field pastors actually making
presentations."

Throughout the Adventist World Ministers Council,
the Ministerial Resource Centre has made resources
available to enlarge the ministers' personal power
in service. [Editor Miroslav Pujic/Christian B.
Schäffler for ANN/APD]