From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

News Conference with Adventist World President

From APD <APD_Info_Schweiz@compuserve.com>
Date 01 Jul 2000 23:31:13

July 2, 2000
Adventist Press Service (APD)
Christian B. Schäffler, Editor-in-chief
CH-4003 Basel, Switzerland
Fax +41-61-261 61 18
APD@stanet.ch
www.stanet.ch/APD/2000/GK

"Building a Mission-focused Church" -
Adventist Church President Hold News Conference

Toronto, Canada, 02.07.2000/ANN/APD      Pastor Jan
Paulsen took questions from the Seventh-day
Adventist media at a press conference held just hours
after he was re-elected General Conference president
on June 30. Paulsen addressed a broad range of
issues, including church growth and leadership .

"I want to make every effort to keep unity in the
church," Paulsen said in his opening remarks about
the rapidly growing denomination. This growth brings
the biggest challenges, he explained.

Paulsen also spoke about the amazing diversity of the
Adventist Church-whose membership represents 205
of the 230 countries recognized by the United Nations.

"There will be differences in how the church expresses
itself," Paulsen said, "but there are certain pillars
which we all subscribe to. There will be different
features in each Division, but there is one church."

"Culture changes, but not the gospel," Paulsen added.

the Adventist Church, Paulsen said that "we have
under-utilized women. They are the mothers in Israel.
They are such a large part of the life of the church.
There should be women taking part in visible
leadership roles in the church," he said.

Paulsen's statement came after the Adventist Review
released statistics showing that there are
approximately 301 female General Conference Session
delegates out of 2000. Paulsen expressed interest in
providing leadership training for woman at various
Adventist educational institutions.

Paulsen also discussed his philosophy about the role of
church leadership.  "We drive collectively at decisions,"
he said. "We check each other's integrity." He stressed
that church leadership must forgo personal interests to
preserve unity. "My colleagues should accept that we
must make collective decisions," he stated.

Emphasizing that service and evangelism are the
lifeblood of the church, Paulsen said that the church's
focus for the next five years should be directed by
mission, not issues.

Paulsen stressed the vital importance of the local
church. Where the local laity is strong, Paulsen said,
churches will grow. "When people take ownership of
the church, they want to be part of it," he said.  "I will
challenge members to define their obligations as
Christians. To be a Christian spectator is
meaningless." [Editor: Heather Osborn for ANN/APD]