From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Youth Visit, Work at Retirement Facility

From News News <news@ELCA.ORG>
Date 02 Jul 2000 08:56:40

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

July 2, 2000

ELCA YOUTH VISIT, WORK AT RETIREMENT FACILITY
00-YG10-JB

     ST. LOUIS (ELCA)   Some 40 high school-age young people and
adult volunteers spent an afternoon working at a local retirement
facility and impressed the residents with their enthusiasm and work
ethic.  The 40 were from four congregations of the Evangelical
Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) and were participants in the ELCA
Youth Gathering here.
     The ELCA Youth Gathering is meeting June 28-July 2 and July
5-9.  The two events bring together some 40,000 Lutheran youth of
high school age who are engaging in worship, Bible study, learning,
community service and fun. The gathering theme is "Dancing at the
Cross Roads."
      Hundreds of young people and adult chaperones visited and
worked at area retirement and nursing homes as part of the
gathering's community service component, "Two Step Service." More
than 100 projects involving parks, day care centers, homeless
shelters and retirement and nursing homes took 7,225 teenagers into
St. Louis and the surrounding area June 29-July 1.  Another 4,600
young people are registered to lend a hand July 6-8.
     "I can only thank God for this," said Barbara Thomas, site
manager, Badenhaus Apartments, St. Louis, as she watched the
gathering volunteers clean hallways, wash windows, trim bushes and
weeds, cut grass and visit with residents.  Badenhaus is an
independent living facility for senior adults operated by Lutheran
Senior Services, Inc., Webster Groves, Mo.  The facility is located
on property owned by the St. Louis Housing Authority.
     "God sent these young people to me," she said. "We need all the
help we can get.  You never know who's watching over you."  Thomas
manages the 100-unit retirement facility and has limited staff and
budget to maintain it.  Many residents are lonely and appreciated the
time to talk with the Lutheran volunteers, she added.
     Volunteers who worked at Badenhaus July 1 were from Advent
Evangelical Lutheran Church, Columbus, Ohio; Trinity Lutheran Church,
Sleepy Eye, Minn.; Emmanuel Lutheran Church, Gackle, N.D.; and Christ
the King Lutheran Church, Newcastle, Wyo.  During the gathering,
several other groups of volunteers also worked at Badenhaus, Thomas
said.
     "Everybody thinks this world is going to the 'dogs,' but come
see these young people!" said Russell Remstedt, a Badenhaus resident.
"They bring us joy!  My wife and I really do appreciate their help.
They're a fine example that our country isn't lost."
     The work was hard but it was for a good purpose, said Angie
Armstrong, 17, Christ the King, Newcastle, Wyo. "Four hours of work
is not that much to ask," she said, adding that the residents seemed
to be thankful for the time they were able to talk with the visitors.
     The work party also gave the young Lutherans an opportunity to
meet other Lutherans from different parts of the ELCA, said Lisa
Bruch, 14, also a member at Christ the King, Newcastle.
     "It is important for the young people to exercise what it means
to give of yourself," said the Rev. David F. Winterfeldt, Emmanuel,
Gackle, S.D. "This is a chance for them to see the church as
serving."  Winterfeldt added that the Gackle area has a considerable
number of seniors, too.
     Learning the importance of service to others is significant,
and the afternoon at Badenhaus provided that opportunity, said
Kristie Flamm, adult volunteer, Advent, Columbus. "It's what Christ
would have done," she said. "This is the example He set for us."
     The Badenahus residents were not able to do the work the
volunteers did, and the staff needed the extra help, said Dustin
Gerken, also a member at Advent.
     "This is worthwhile," said Chris Haugen, Trinity, Sleepy Eye,
Minn., as he helped a crew do yard work. "It is good to get involved
with the community."
     Sweeping and cleaning at Badenhaus may seem like a small task.
But the work is being done in Jesus' name, said the Rev. Mark L.
Little, Trinity, Sleepy Eye.
     "We are Christ's kids, His servants, and this work helps cement
the idea that being a Christian means something," he said. "We try to
impress on the young people that we receive and we serve.  The kids
are willing to do service more than we give them credit for."
     Robert Hamilton, a maintenance worker at Badenhaus, helped the
July 1 volunteers perform their work.  As their visit to Badenhaus
came to an end, Hamilton said he was sorry to see them leave.
     "It is so refreshing to see these young people come out and
work," he said about all of the week's volunteers. "There were lots
of smiles.  Some played the piano and sang with the residents.  It
was great."

For information contact: