From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA College, Seminary Students Discuss 'Crossroads'

From News News <news@ELCA.ORG>
Date 02 Jul 2000 10:52:17

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

July 2, 2000

ELCA COLLEGE, SEMINARY STUDENTS DISCUSS 'CROSSROADS'
00-YG11-MH

     ST. LOUIS (ELCA)- Three Lutherans currently studying at
colleges and seminaries talked about their "crossroads" moments July
1 to about 22,000 high school-age Lutherans gathered here for
"Dancing at the Cross Roads," the Evangelical Lutheran Church in
America's (ELCA) Youth Gathering at the Trans World Dome.
     The ELCA Youth Gathering is meeting June 28-July 2 and July 5-
9.  The two events bring together some 40,000 Lutheran youth of high
school age, who are engaging in worship, Bible study, learning,
community service and fun.
     John Stroeh, Luther Seminary, St. Paul, Minn., talked about
doubting God.  "It's 'okay' to doubt," he said.
     "Many people think that doubting is the opposite of faith, and
they're wrong," he said.  "Doubt is an important part of the faith
journey.  If you don't doubt, you don't grow, and, if you don't grow,
your faith won't get you anywhere."
     Stroeh talked about a time when he thought he was on top of the
world.  He was engaged to be married and set to go to graduate
school.  The engagement was later broken and he dropped out of
school.  This was his "crossroads moment."
     "At your crossroads moment, God will always reveal himself to
you in some way, and for me it was finding dimes on the ground,"
Stroeh said.  "Every time I found a dime on the ground, it was a time
for me to praise and thank God." he said.  God will always give you
something at the crossroads.
     Nathan Jackson, Fordham University, New York, said his
crossroads moment took place when he was a child.  He witnessed a
friend being struck by a bus in the middle of the road, and the
friend later died.
     "This incident made me question God", Jackson said.  "I was
taught that life was a gift from God and that we should respect that
gift," he said.  Seeing his friend die made him wonder if God was
respecting that gift, he said.
     Jackson credited his mother for helping him get back on the
road of faith.  "She told me that when God closes the door, he opens
a window," Jackson said.   "At the crossroads, God is at his busiest
hour.  He will show us the way."
      Tarah Demant, Pacific Lutheran University, Tacoma, Wash., said
her crossroads took place when she had to make a decision on whether
or not to witness to a friend about the gospel.
     "The women who saw the empty tomb didn't keep the news to
themselves.  They went out and told it to everyone they knew," Demant
said.  "Why should we be quiet about something that can change
lives?"
      Demant addressed the issue of what it means to be a Christian.
"Being a Christian means being a child of God, and we have an
incredible responsibility to tell about his love to everyone," she
said.
     In addition to the speeches, the hip-hop group "Raze"
performed, along with the Boys and Girls Club of Kansas City, Mo.

For information contact: