From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Suspension over, Dell returns to pulpit at Chicago church

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.UMC.ORG>
Date 05 Jul 2000 14:58:21

July 5, 2000  News media contact: Tim Tanton·(615)742-5470·Nashville, Tenn.
10-21-28-71B{316}

By United Methodist News Service

The Rev. Gregory Dell returned to the helm of Broadway United Methodist
Church on July 1, a year after being suspended for violating church law by
performing a same-sex union service.

Dell told United Methodist News Service that he "intends to be a full pastor
to all the people" in his Chicago-area church. About one-third of his
220-member congregation is gay or lesbian.

"My plan is that I will not restrict ministry to any one in the congregation
because of their identity," he said. " ... As long as I'm doing weddings for
heterosexual couples, as long as I'm celebrating those relationships, I
intend to do those for gay and lesbian couples.

"My intention is not to engage in a kind of in-your-face challenge" to the
denomination, he said. " ... My intent is to be a pastor. I think the point
has been made. The real place for changing the policy of the church is on
the floor of the General Conference."

Dell was convicted of disobeying church law following a two-day clergy trial
that ended on March 26, 1999. A panel of 13 Northern Illinois Annual
Conference pastors found him guilty of violating the denomination's Book of
Discipline, which states that homosexual union services shall not be
conducted by United Methodist ministers nor held in United Methodist
sanctuaries.

At first, Dell was suspended indefinitely, or until he might sign a
statement vowing not to perform same-sex ceremonies. However, the North
Central Jurisdiction Committee on Appeals decided later that Dell's
suspension should have a definite term, and that it would end on June 30.

Afterward, Bishop C. Joseph Sprague announced he would reappoint Dell to
Broadway when the suspension was concluded.

No conditions were placed on Dell's return to the pastorate, the bishop
said. "Greg understands that as a United Methodist pastor he is appointed
under the mandates of the Discipline," he said.

"I've made it very clear in the letter that I wrote and in conversation with
Greg that the expectation is that if he is going to remain at Broadway, then
he must practice ministry within the confines of the Discipline," Sprague
said.

The denomination's top legislative body, the General Conference, upheld its
policies regarding practicing homosexuals during a May 2-12 meeting in
Cleveland. Sprague, Dell and others were arrested during General Conference
as they demonstrated against the church's policies.

The General Conference's votes on homosexuality-related issues caused "great
disappointment across the (Northern Illinois) annual conference," Sprague
said. Despite the annual conference's disappointment, "we intend to live
within that covenant," the bishop said. "Though we have to say no in some
instances to people we dearly love, we're going to do that as a demonstrated
act of fidelity to the covenant, and that is hurtful."

Sprague said he has publicly asked all Northern Illinois clergy not to do
same-sex services. If a letter of complaint were filed about Dell or another
pastor performing a same-sex service, the bishop said he would request that
pastor's credentials. The bishop does not foresee another church trial in
Northern Illinois on the issue. "It's clear the church has spoken on this
issue, and therefore for a person to perform such a union is tantamount to
surrender of credentials."

While suspended, Dell was director of In All Things Charity, an unofficial
network of clergy members and others in the denomination who support full
inclusiveness of gays, lesbians and bisexuals in the life of the church.
Much of the group's work had been directed toward last May's General
Conference, and a committee is considering the organization's future.

About 200 people turned out at Broadway on July 2 for Dell's return sermon,
titled "A Declaration of Interdependence." "I talked about how our Christian
faith moves us to understand the ways in which we're connected to one
another and dependence on God, and also independent of any institution or
power that would cause us to abandon our integrity and our faith."

During his suspension and work at In All Things Charity, Dell said it became
clear to him "how much we need each other, to keep challenging and
supporting one another." But it was also clear "that no institution, whether
it's government or family or job or even church, has a right to deny that
which is loving and faithful, and we can't be controlled by those forces."

The Broadway congregation responded with "a lot of enthusiasm," Dell said.
However, the members feel anxiety as well. They have been of one mind about
being in ministry to all people, regardless of race, gender, sexual
orientation, he said. Now the congregation sees that it "could begin to
experience a kind of revolving door of pastoral appointments," he said.

Even in his absence, Broadway continued to grow during the past year - in
membership, community involvement, apportionment and "second mile" giving,
he said. And despite its anxiety, the congregation is clear about its
identity, he said. "There is a lot of very clear energy to move forward with
what the folks at Broadway feel is real faithfulness to the Gospel."
# # #

United Methodist News Service
Photos and stories also available at:
http://umns.umc.org