From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Great preaching, good workshops mark Sessions 2000

From "Office of Communications"<wshuffit@oc.disciples.org>
Date 13 Jul 2000 12:42:22

Date: July 13, 2000
Disciples News Service
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
Contact: Clifford L. Willis
E-mail: CWillis@oc.disciples.org
on the Web: http://www.disciples.org

00c-36

	INDIANAPOLIS (DNS) --  Great preaching and good workshops. Hot weather
and warm fellowship. Singing, singing and more singing.

	All were part of Sessions 2000, the quadrennial gathering of Disciples
Men, July 6-9 in Des Moines. Some 350 men and a few women met at First
Christian Church near the Drake University campus for inspiration and good
ideas, fellowship and renewed vigor for men's ministry.

	"New Leadership for a New Era" was the theme of the gathering, and each
worship speaker addressed a different component of the theme.

	During evening worship June 6, the Rev. Alvin O. Jackson called on the
men to be persons of integrity. The pastor of National City Christian
Church, Washington, D.C., warned that integrity is a gift we have to work
at, a calling, a journey. "Let the last chapter of your life story be,
‘God, judge me, for I have walked in my integrity.'"

	The growing walls of hostility and violence in today's world make it
increasingly difficult to love others as God has loved us, said the Rev.
Stephen Boyd, professor of history of Christianity and historical
theology, Wake Forest University, Winston, Salem, N.C., on June 7. Boyd
challenged the men present to recognize themselves as "householders" or
"itinerants," and to take the steps for understanding and reconciliation.
"If we persevere, there is a promise," he said.

	Speaking July 8, the Rev. Doug Adams had his congregation cheering,
booing, applauding and laughing numerous times as they helped him make his
point. The professor of Christianity and the arts at Pacific School of
Religion, Berkeley, Calif.,  said the most effective way to serve as a
mentor to others is to follow the example of grandparents. Grandparents,
he said, love inclusively and freely share the memories of weakness and
failure.

	General Minister and President Richard Hamm sent the men "out into the
world," speaking at closing worship on the morning of June 9. Don't think
you have to wait until you are a perfect person to witness for Christ, he
said. Many biblical persons shared their witness with great effectiveness
in spite of glaring personal faults.

	Sheldon Henderson, president, General Conference of Disciples Men, said,
"I could tell that God's Holy Spirit was working once again on the men
that chose to attend Sessions 2000, as it always does at these gatherings.
However, the real success of the event will be the effort of 350 men
providing ‘New Leadership for a New Era' when they return home."

	In addition to presiding at some of the sessions, the versatile president
also sang tenor with "The Ambassadors," a gospel quartet, and drove the
bus chauffeuring folks to the mission work site.

	Those who made the short trip to Laurel Hill Park in Des Moines,
assembled and installed play equipment purchased with Disciples Men's
annual Pancake Day breakfast funds. In addition to picnic tables, benches,
jungle gym and swings, much perspiration was left at the site as the
temperature reached a humid 93 degrees.

	Music was an integral part of the event. Each session started with
singing led by the Rev. Rick Linn, Lakeview Christian Church, Dallas,
Texas, and accompanied by Otis Lloyd, retired professor, Jarvis Christian
College, Hawkins, Texas. Each evening worship service featured special
music, with an after-session performance following the service. On June 6,
"The Ambassadors," a gospel quartet from Des Moines performed. On June 7,
the Men's Chorus, First Christian Church, Odessa, Mo., shared their
musical witness. "The Praise Band" of Wyatt Park Christian Church, St.
Joseph, Mo., sang and played during evening worship June 8. Band members
range in age from 11 to 69.

	Workshops ranged from "Using the Internet" to "Where Have All the Young
Men Gone." Attendees could also learn about eldership, humor in the Bible
and being mentors. The men met daily in small groups to reflect on each
evening's sermon.

                                                                	 -- end --