From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Jubilee the unifying theme of Episcopal convention

From Daphne Mack <dmack@dfms.org>
Date 24 Jul 2000 08:59:11

For more information:

Episcopal News Service
James Solheim
jsolheim@dfms.org
212/922-5385
http://www.ecusa.anglican.org/ens

GC2000-085

Jubilee the unifying theme of General Convention

by Susan Erdey

     (ENS - DENVER) If the 73rd General Convention could be
expressed in one word, it would be "Jubilee."

     From the "MM: Anno Jubilee" banners outside the Colorado
Convention Center and inside the worship space, to Presiding
Bishop Frank T. Griswold's meditations at the daily Eucharists,
to the debates in the House of Deputies and House of Bishops,
Jubilee was the ever-present theme.

     Griswold set the tone in his welcome message and sermon for
the Jubilee Morning on July 6, a half-day when convention
business was suspended and participants set aside the morning for
what Griswold described as "purposeful wasting of time in order
to discover...the mystery of our life in Christ."

     "During Jubilee," Griswold said, "all creation is to be
liberated for the sake of finding proper balance and relationship
in union with God and one another. God's liberation unfolds as we
cease to hold one another hostage through unyielding bias,
prejudice, judgment, suspicion, fears, and forgiveness. ... Jubilee
is fundamental to our life as a resurrection community."

     In the midst of the Jubilee morning service, worshipers were
invited to spend 90 minutes sitting and looking at the nearby
mountains, praying together or alone, or walking a labyrinth set
up behind the altar area.

     Many chose to brave the long lines - 20 deep, at some points
- in order to walk the labyrinth. Priscilla Bates-Makarias, a
doctoral student at the Episcopal Divinity School and a visitor
at convention, found the labyrinth experience "very powerful."
The act of moving around a maze-like pattern "was the perfect
metaphor for the church and the difficult conversations we find
ourselves in," she said.

     "Everyone is in the labyrinth together, walking slowly, and
sometimes you have to step aside and let someone who's further
along on the journey move ahead of you," she added. "We're all in
different places on that path, and we have to do it
cooperatively. Some people might be angered by the slowness, some
might be lost in the experience, but we're all on that journey
together."

Woven through daily life

     The Jubilee theme was not limited to one special service,
but was carefully woven through each morning Eucharist. Griswold
drew on the lives of such saints as Julian of Norwich and on
various aspects of Jubilee as the focus for each of his
meditations at the daily services. The House of Bishops also took
time from their legislative calendar every afternoon to spend
half an hour in prayer together, building on Griswold's
admonition to release themselves from "useful productivity and
purposeful accomplishment."

     Throughout their time together, bishops and deputies heard
echoes of Griswold's reminder in his Jubilee meditation that at
"the shattering moment" of Jesus' baptism, "no task is assigned,
no agenda given, no test is proscribed.... Nothing is asked for or
required of Jesus other than to accept God's delight and pleasure
in his very being."

     The jubilee concept resurfaced during legislative debates,
with deputies and bishops on both sides of issues calling on each
other to "act in the spirit of Jubilee" to accept or reject a
particular resolution. When the House of Deputies overwhelmingly
approved a resolution calling for continued monitoring of those
dioceses known to be delaying on the ordination of women, a
representative from one of those dioceses objected that the
decision was "not in the spirit of Jubilee."

     "We were taking the presiding bishop's words seriously on
the year of Jubilee," added the Rev. Canon H.W. Herrmann from
Quincy. "We were under the impression that this would ... be dealt
with in another way, a kinder, gentler way than this resolution."

     The Convention emphasis on Jubilee could have far-reaching
effects if deputies and bishops take it home to their dioceses
and parishes, several members of convention observed. Wendy
Sopkovich, an alternate deputy from Milwaukee, said during the
Jubilee morning, "To me this is the work of the church, this
right now. If we can bring this back to our own parishes, it's
fine. I think the work of the church is to help people to learn
that Jesus is here and God loves us. I can't think of any more
important work."

--Susan Erdey is layout and design editor for RISEN in the
Diocese of Rhode Island.