From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Kirkpatrick asks Presbyterians to work for peace in the Holy Land

From PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org
Date 20 Dec 2000 11:01:34

Note #6314 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

20-December-2000
00459

Kirkpatrick asks Presbyterians to work for peace in the Holy Land

December 19, 2000

To All Presbyterians:

	During this period of preparation for Christmas, and the contemplation of
the deeper meaning of the Advent of our Lord, our hearts and minds travel to
Bethlehem,  walk the journey of Joseph and Mary, and join the humble
shepherds to whom the first announcement of glad tidings came.  We rejoice
in the message of everlasting hope.

	Our hope, however, is mingled with pain for the sake of those in today's
Bethlehem who cannot celebrate the joy of the birth of our Lord.  There are
many who lost loved ones in the violence of recent weeks.  Many others lost
their homes when they were demolished by the Israeli military.  Nearly all
are suffering severe economic loss and even hopelessness because of the
diminution of tourism, closures, the death of a breadwinner, and other
personal and collective disasters.  Church bells in Bethlehem, Jerusalem and
other cities and towns in the Occupied Territories are either muted or
tolling in mourning tones.

	But our hope is guardedly rekindled at the news that, in these final days
of the presidency of Mr. Clinton and the announced resignation of Israel's
Prime Minister Barak, there is a surge of commitment to seek an urgent peace
agreement.  We invite you all to pray that the God of Peace, incarnate in
Bethlehem's Prince of Peace, may, by the power of the Holy Spirit, work out
the divine purpose in these events, that a just and lasting peace may dawn
upon people who are now walking in the darkness of the shadow of death.

	As for our part, we have also been at prayer for peace.  Many of our
congregations are actively participating in the ongoing Vigil for peace. As
a denomination, we have participated in an ecumenical peace and
solidarity/fact finding delegation of 24 church officials from many U.S.
churches who just returned from Israel and Palestine.  Our own Inez Allan,
chair of the General Assembly Council's Worldwide Ministry Division
represented the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) on that delegation.  Our Office
for the Middle East that continues to monitor the situation and to maintain
contact with our partners in the region, was also represented.

	We pledge our own continuing commitment to work diligently for peace in the
Holy Land. In collaboration and/or consultation with our ecumenical partners
in this country and overseas, we will communicate our General Assembly's
resolutions to the new United States administration and to the Israeli and
Palestinian authorities, as may be warranted.

	Above all, we join with our fellow Christians in Palestine and around the
world, and with other people of faith and good will, to seek the ways of
justice and peace, to the glory of God.

								Faithfully,

								Clifton Kirkpatrick
		Stated Clerk of the