From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org
Financial health improves for NCC
From
PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date
1 Jun 2001 17:26:32 GMT
Note #6543 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:
1-June-2001
01186
Financial health improves for NCC
Kirkpatrick reports progress on talks with evangelicals, Catholics
by Kevin Eckstrom
Religion News Service
WASHINGTON - Leaders from the National Council of Churches (NCC) presented
an improved financial forecast for the 51-year-old agency and promised to
build on increased enthusiasm for "expanding the ecumenical table" to
attract Catholics and evangelicals.
During the May 30-31 meeting of the NCC executive board, leaders said they
will cut spending by 2 percent next year to keep up with an expected 2
percent drop in revenues. If the budget is maintained, officials expect to
end next year's budget with a $10,000 surplus.
NCC General Secretary Bob Edgar has reined in spending and trimmed the
agency's bureaucracy to stop years of deficit spending. By last year, the
NCC had depleted its reserve funds by $6 million and asked its 36 member
churches to help in a bailout plan. Reserve funds - almost entirely
restricted - currently stand at about $3.5 million.
The current fiscal year ends June 30 and includes a deficit of about
$730,000. That deficit will be absorbed by the NCC's reserve funds, but
Edgar said he expects the council to be on track by next year. Board members
rejected a proposal to underspend next year's budget by 5 percent.
"We've come a long way," Edgar said. "We haven't gotten there yet, but
we've come a long way."
Some of the budget woes come from the separation of the NCC's humanitarian
arm, Church World Service and Witness. As the two agencies become largely
separate entities, officials are shuffling staff and resources to meet the
needs of both groups.
Edgar pointed to small signs of greater stability, such as an increase in
the mailing of the NCC newsletter from 5,000 copies to more than 60,000. In
addition, he had hoped to attract $75,000 in funding from outside groups but
expects to have $250,000 by year's end.
When Edgar assumed control of the beleaguered agency last year, he
immediately pushed NCC member churches to consider the idea of eventually
disbanding the NCC and re-forming it as a new ecumenical group that could
include Roman Catholic, evangelical and Pentecostal churches, which have
frequently been at odds with the NCC.
Edgar said those talks are going well, and include discussions and possible
partnerships with groups such as the Salvation Army and Habitat for
Humanity.
The Rev. Clifton Kirkpatrick, stated clerk of the Presbyterian Church (USA)
and a member of the NCC's vision committee, told board members he hopes to
launch formal "conversations" with Catholic leaders later this year.
"We're looking forward with a great deal of anticipation that the Holy
Spirit has something exciting in store for the ecumenical movement,"
Kirkpatrick said.
Attracting Catholics and evangelicals will likely be a hard fight for the
NCC. Last year the three groups signed a joint statement on the importance
of marriage, but Edgar later removed his name for fear that the statement
could be interpreted as an attack on gays and lesbians.
Edgar said he has had "good conversations" with the National Association of
Evangelicals, but conceded that relations have never been warm with the NAE,
which was largely formed in opposition to the NCC.
"They have some issues," he said.
Kirkpatrick and Edgar said they would like to see a move toward a new
agency by 2004, and expect to spend $250,000 next year on the project.
"The specifics of the time line have to play out when the other partners
gather around the table," Kirkpatrick said.
_______________________________________________
pcusaNews mailing list
pcusaNews@pcusa.org
To unsubscribe, go to this web address:
http://pcusa01.pcusa.org/mailman/listinfo/pcusanews
Browse month . . .
Browse month (sort by Source) . . .
Advanced Search & Browse . . .
WFN Home