From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Book Opens Classic Jesus Biography to New Readers

From APD <APD_Info_Schweiz@compuserve.com>
Date Sat, 25 May 2002 04:06:57 -0400

May 24, 2002
Adventist Press Service (APD)
Christian B. Schaeffler, Editor-in-chief
Fax +41-61-261 61 18
APD@stanet.ch
http://www.stanet.ch/APD
CH-4003 Basel, Switzerland

Book Opens Classic Jesus Biography to New Readers

Nampa, Idaho, USA -  A contemporary adaptation of the
book The Desire of Ages was released by the Adventist
publishing house, Pacific Press, last month, and aims to
make Ellen White's biography of Jesus more accessible
to a new generation of readers. Author Jerry D. Thomas
says his adaptation, Messiah, was written for students,
young adults, new Adventist believers, or anyone who
finds the language of the original difficult to understand.

"For years as a teacher, I struggled to help students
grasp the concepts and images of God's love as
shown in The Desire of Ages," says Thomas. "I became
convinced that a contemporary adaptation could
preserve the meaning of her words while simplifying and
updating the language."

Throughout the two-year project, Thomas worked
closely with the White Estate at the Adventist world
headquarters in Silver Spring, Maryland. Scholars from
the White Estate, which has preserved and
promoted Ellen White's writings since her death in 1915,
went over the manuscript page by page to ensure
that White's message was not blurred. "Messiah is
certainly not intended to be a replacement for The
Desire of Ages," adds Thomas. "I hope it leads more
people to read more of Ellen White's beautiful book on
the life of Jesus."

Thomas says reaction to Messiah has so far been
positive. "Some people who were handed The Desire of
Ages as a young person or new believer have felt guilty
for not being able to finish reading the original right
through, or not understanding it properly," says
Thomas. "Since the release of Messiah, I've had a
number of people tell me, 'I feel great for finally being
able to read it!"

"I've always wanted to do something that matters for
the church, something that makes a difference,"
explains Thomas. "And as a writer of children's books,
I've enjoyed helping children learn about Jesus and
gain a love of reading." But Messiah is different, he
says. "Making The Desire of Ages more accessible to
today's readers has the potential to affect an entire
generation, influencing how they feel about Ellen White
and her writings, and more importantly, how they feel
about Jesus."

Many church leaders have welcomed this adaptation.
Noelene Johnsson, children's ministries director for the
church in North America, says there has long been a
need for a popular "translation" of the The Desire of
Ages. Don Hevener, a vice president for the Adventist
Church in North America, praises the "friendly style,"
accuracy in adaptation, and clear language of the book.

Thomas, a book editor at Pacific Press for the past 10
years, is author of more than 20 children's books,
including the Shoebox Kids Bible Stories series and
Detective Zack. Before joining Pacific Press, Thomas
served as a pastor and high school religion teacher.

The Desire of Ages, first published in 1898, is one of
White's best known books and has been translated
into more than 60 languages.

For more information about Messiah, go to
www.adventistbookcenter.com. [Editor: Bettina Krause
for ANN]

Reproduction Requirements:
Reproduction of information in this article is
encouraged. When reproducing this material, in full or in
part,  the words "Source: Adventist News Network"
must appear under the headline or immediately
following the article.