From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Church Insurance Company no longer requires abuse-awareness training

From ENS@ecunet.org
Date Wed, 29 May 2002 15:35:20 -0400 (EDT)

2002-136

Church Insurance Company no longer requires abuse-awareness training

by Ed Stannard

     (Episcopal Life) The Church Insurance Company (CIC), one of the leaders in
the church in raising awareness of sexual misconduct, has been quietly
eliminating its training mandate for its customers.

     Since 1994, Church Insurance has required four hours each of adult and child
awareness training in order for dioceses and other church bodies to qualify for
liability policies. In the last nine months, however, the company has filed for a
change removing that warranty requirement, according to Rod Webster, senior vice
president and general manager of the CIC, a division of the Church Pension Group.
The filing has had to be made in each state in which CIC does business, so the
lifting of the requirement has occurred gradually. In addition, those dioceses
covered by CIC's new affiliate, Church Insurance of Vermont, have not had the
warranty as part of their policies. The new requirements have been approved in
about 70 dioceses, though some won't see the change until their next renewal.

     Webster said the change was made "in large part, because we don't think it's
necessary anymore. The church is doing a good job." He said he doesn't know of
any diocese that has eliminated the training.

     Church Insurance lost some business to other companies that did not require
the training, Webster said. More important, he said, the requirement put the
company in a bind in terms of its mission of serving the church. "How are we ever
going to walk away from a claim? ... It's hard to imagine us doing that." For
example, denying coverage because a diocese did not conduct the training would
affect each parish in the diocese.

     The Rev. Virginia Herring of Greensboro, North Carolina, co-chair of the
Committee on Sexual Exploitation, said the committee has discussed the issue and
that, from a personal point of view, she sees the move as positive. "I think that
it's probably a good thing," she said. "It shouldn't change anything. We ought to
have policies and procedures in our dioceses because it's the right thing to do,
not because we're going to lose our insurance."

     Herring said she could not foresee a diocese or parish simply eliminating
the training. "My perspective is that it allows us to this because it's part of
who we are, being sanctuary, being church; it allows us to be a safe place."

     Julie Denman, director of congregational support for the Diocese of West
Tennessee, said her diocese is just as committed to misconduct-awareness
training, but found it could do the training in about half the time. "People
resented the time, but I don't think we've cut the training," she said. "The main
emphasis is on understanding [abuse] and reporting it. We're real committed to
the training."

     Webster said Church Insurance is planning later this year to implement
incentives for its clients, "a series of rewards and punishments for dioceses and
parishes who do a good job at keeping misconduct as low as possible." That will
happen as its liability business is moved to Church Insurance of Vermont, which
is able to pay dividends. "That gives us a whole new technique for rewarding
dioceses and parishes who do it right--with money," said Webster. For those who
don't "do it right," the company may consider imposing higher deductibles. Those
changes are still being studied by the CIC board, bishops and diocesan
chancellors, however.

     Herring said that at its May meeting the Sexual Exploitation Committee began
to form a network of provincial representatives, who will help dioceses
communicate with each other. "My hope is that people would in fact become more
connected and more creative" in addressing misconduct awareness, she said.

     On the Web:

     Church Insurance Co.: www.cpg.org/insurance/liability/index.html

     Committee on Sexual Exploitation:
www.episcopalchurch.org/gc/ccab/ecse/default.html

--Ed Stannard is news editor for Episcopal Life. To comment on this story, write
to him at estannard@episcopal-life.org.