From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Women Support Philadelphia-area Ministries

From News News <news@ELCA.ORG>
Date Sat, 13 Jul 2002 14:38:58 -0500

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

July 13, 2002

ELCA WOMEN SUPPORT PHILADELPHIA-AREA MINISTRIES
WO-02-09-JB

     PHILADELPHIA (ELCA) -- Participants attending the Women of the
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) Fifth Triennial Gathering
gave hundreds of children's books and packages containing a variety of
personal care items, such as soap and linens, to Philadelphia-area
ministries.  Known as "in-kind" gifts, the items are intended for the
benefit of women and children in need.
     Women of the ELCA's Triennial Gathering is meeting here July 8-14
at the Pennsylvania Convention Center.  The organization's three-year
theme, "Listen, God is Calling," is being unveiled at the convention
amid Bible study, keynote addresses, workshops, field trips, business
sessions and elections.  Nearly 3,200 women from throughout the ELCA and
the world are attending.
     Women attending the gathering brought the personal care kits and
books with them to Philadelphia for the benefit of local ministries.
     "This is one way we can fulfill our purpose, by expressing our
faith in Jesus Christ," said Catherine "Cathi" I.H. Braasch, Women of
the ELCA executive director, at a ceremony to present the gifts to
representatives of the Philadelphia ministries.
     "We learn a great deal from the communities we visit, and we give
back to those communities," she added.
     "This is a tremendous gift of new hope and new life for immigrants
coming into this country," said Ann P. Wilson, acting president,
Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Service (LIRS), Baltimore.  LIRS is a
ministry that serves refugees, their families and communities.
     "Your ministry and your gifts are deeply appreciated," said the
Rev. Isaac Miller, Church of the Advocate, an Episcopal Church
congregation in Philadelphia.  Miller represented Philadelphia
Interfaith Action, a coalition of local congregations that work to
strengthen local communities.  Miller also thanked the ELCA for
congregations serving inner-city Philadelphia, and working cooperatively
to "transform" inner-city neighborhoods.
     "The books are very important to our ministries," said Susan
Pursch, representing Lutheran Children and Family Services and Liberty
Lutheran Services, social ministry organizations in Philadelphia.
"These gifts have a longer life than the time you will spend here for
your convention."
     The in-kind gifts were given to several other Philadelphia-area
organizations:
     + Aid for Friends, provides meals for homebound people.
     + Bridge of Peace Community Church, a Lutheran congregation in
Camden, N.J., works with other Lutheran churches in community outreach.
     + Iglesia Luterana Nueva Creacion, provides assistance to low-
income families.
     + Lutheran Deaconess Community, promotes spiritual development and
service to others.
     + Lutheran Settlement House, supports women and children.
     + Project H.O.M.E., offers housing and support to homeless people.
     + Silver-Springs Martin Luther School, provides homes, education
and support for children at risk.
     + University Lutheran Church, collaborates with other partners in
ministry to support people living with AIDS.
-- -- --
Editors: Photographs from "Way-Making Women: A Way to Unity" and Women
of the ELCA's Triennial Gathering are maintained at
http://www.elca.org/wo/events/tg/tg02/connect/photos.html on the Web.

News releases and other information about the gathering are maintained
at http://www.elca.org/wo/events/tg/tg02/connect/news.html on the Web.

For information, contact: Melissa Ramirez, newsroom manager,
(215) 418-2045 or mramirez@elca.org

For information contact: