From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS - Integrity USA welcomes Archbishop Williams' appointment

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Thu, 25 Jul 2002 15:02:31 -0700

ACNS 3074 - USA - 24 July 2002

Integrity USA welcomes Archbishop Williams' appointment

Integrity welcomes the appointment of the Archbishop of Wales, the Most Revd
Rowan Williams, as Archbishop of Canterbury. The announcement was made this
morning [23rd July] that he will succeed Archbishop George Carey on October
31.

Archbishop Williams has not only written extensively on human sexuality and
the full inclusion of homosexual persons in the life of the Church, he has
relationships with many people in the leadership of the various groups that
make up the Alliance of Gay and Lesbian Anglicans.

"Having been closed out of relationship with the Archbishop of Canterbury
during the tenure of the current Archbishop, we look forward to someone who
knows us, our faith in God, and our commitment to the Church," said the Revd
Michael Hopkins, President of Integrity. "I truly cannot imagine a better
choice for this job from our point of view. I hope that the fact that he
also has extensive relationships throughout the Anglican Communion also
means that he can help hold the Communion together during this time of great
tension between member Provinces."