From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Tanzanian Lutheran Returns to U.S., Appears at ELCA Event

From News News <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Tue, 30 Jul 2002 12:25:30 -0500

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

July 30, 2002

TANZANIAN LUTHERAN RETURNS TO U.S., APPEARS AT ELCA EVENT
02-177-JB

     MINNEAPOLIS (ELCA) -- A Lutheran church official in Tanzania,
denied entry into the United States earlier this month because of
problems with her passport and visa, returned to the United States July
19 and was a presenter here at the Global Mission Event (GME) sponsored
by the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA).
       Mary Laiser, head of the Women's Department of the Arusha
Diocese, Evangelical Lutheran Church in Tanzania (ELCT), was to be a
presenter and assisting minister for worship at the Women of the ELCA
Triennial Gathering, July 8-14 in Philadelphia, and then attend GMEs in
Hickory, N.C., and here.
     But on her way to the women's gathering she was detained in
Detroit for about six hours July 9 after arriving from Amsterdam.
Laiser said she was put on a plane back to Tanzania by U.S. immigration
officials.  She was told she was detained because her visa extended
beyond the expiration date of her passport.  The visa had been granted
by the U.S. Embassy in Dar Es Salaam.
     Traveling with Laiser was Elizabeth Megiroo, assistant secretary
for the Women's Department, Arusha Diocese, ELCT.  Megiroo was allowed
entry into the United States and continued on to the women's gathering
after Laiser was turned back.
      Delegates to the Women of the ELCA convention, unhappy with the
incident, voted overwhelmingly to authorize the Women of the ELCA
executive director "to lodge a protest in the strongest possible terms"
to the U.S. government.
     On July 16, Catherine I.H. Braasch, executive director of Women of
the ELCA, wrote to U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell.  "Our protest
over this incident rests squarely on the fact that Ms. Laiser was turned
away from this country because of an error on the part of officials of
the United States, an error which could have been corrected without
sending her out of the country," Braasch said in her letter to Powell.
"In these times when our country is working to build cultural, economic
and social bridges to peoples throughout the world, it is indeed
unfortunate that Ms. Laiser could not participate in this significant
event."
     "We ask that you look into the matter as soon as possible in the
hope that future such incidents can be avoided, and that an apology can
be given to Ms. Laiser on behalf of our government," Braasch's letter
said.
     To date, there has been no response from any U.S. government
official, including Powell, Braasch said.
     For her part, the soft-spoken Laiser said she wasn't sure if she
would attempt to return to the United States for the GMEs after
straightening out the error when she returned to Tanzania.  "But when I
heard women were praying for me and supporting me, I felt I had to
come," she said in an interview.
     Laiser said that she pleaded in vain with U.S. immigration
officials in Detroit to allow her entry into the country.  While she was
detained, she was not allowed to make any phone calls before being
required to return to Amsterdam, Laiser said.
     The reason she was denied U.S. entry was that her Tanzanian
passport expires in December, less than six months after she planned to
leave the United States on Aug. 6 to return home, Laiser explained.
Despite the expiration date, the U.S. Embassy in Dar Es Salaam granted
her a visa to enter the United States.  "I thought everything was all
right," Laiser said, adding she was not made aware of any problem with
the passport expiration date.
     When she arrived back in Tanzania -- a 16-hour trip by air --
Laiser said she applied for and got a new passport from the Tanzania
government.  Then she traveled a full day to the U.S. Embassy in Dar Es
Salaam to transfer the visa to her new passport. Once there, U.S.
Embassy officials were reluctant, but they transferred the visa after
Laiser "insisted," she explained.
     Laiser arrived July 19 in the United States, and joined the
conclusion of the GME in Hickory, N.C.  She plans to return Aug. 6 to
Tanzania.
     Laiser expressed unhappiness with U.S. immigration officials in
Detroit and with the U.S. Embassy staff in Dar Es Salaam.  "It wasn't my
fault.  If I had known about this, I would have gotten a new passport,"
she said.
     No one has apologized to Laiser for the immigration foul-up, she
said.  "I'm hoping for one (apology)," she said. "They made me waste a
lot of time. Ten days is a lot of time."
     Laiser was one of four women from Tanzania who were presenters
July 26 at the GME here.  Joining her were Sister Judith Bukambu, the
Rev. Elieshi Mungure and Megiroo.  The four discussed the roles of women
in the Tanzanian church and society, and the daily challenges they face.

For information contact: