From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Archons of the Ecumenical Patriarchate Meet with Turkish Officials

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Sat, 26 Oct 2002 17:41:04 -0700

		    GREEK ORTHODOX ARCHDIOCESE OF AMERICA
    8-10 East 79th St. New York, NY 10021  Tel: (212) 570-3530 Fax: (212)
				  774-0215
	 Web: http://www.goarch.org Email: communications@goarch.org

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
October 22, 2002
Contact: Order of St. Andrew
Tel: (212) 570-3550 Fax: (212) 774-0214
Web site: www.archons.patriarchate.org
E-mail: archons@goarch.org

	     MEETINGS WITH TURKISH OFFICIALS IN ANKARA HIGHLIGHT
		 ARCHON PILGRIMAGE TO ECUMENICAL PATRIARCHATE

  ISTANBUL -- The Archons of the Ecumenical Patriarchate journeyed to
  Istanbul October 18th to 22nd for their annual pilgrimage.  The trip
  included services and meetings with His All Holiness Ecumenical Patriarch
  Bartholomew and was highlighted by a visit to the capital of Turkey,
  Ankara, for meetings with Turkish government officials to discuss issues
  of religious tolerance, the reopening of Halki Theological School, and
  other concerns related to the function and ministry of the Ecumenical
  Patriarchate.

  On Sunday evening the Archons hosted a banquet at the Koc Museum in honor
  of the United States Ambassador to Turkey, W. Robert Pearson.  In addition
  to the Archons and pilgrims from America who attended this tribute dinner,
  members of the Turkish Grand Assembly were present, as well as other
  distinguished citizens of Turkey.

  On Monday the Archon leadership traveled to Ankara to visit government
  officials of Turkey and to express deep concerns regarding religious
  tolerance and religious freedom relative to the Ecumenical Patriarchate.
  A morning meeting was held with Mehmet Nuri Yilmaz, the President of
  Religious Affairs for Turkey.  The meeting was characterized as a mutually
  respectful exchange of ideas in areas of common concern regarding the
  Ecumenical Patriarchate.

  Following this meeting, the delegation attended a luncheon hosted by the
  wife of Ambassador Pearson, Mrs. Margaret Pearson, and the Deputy Chief of
  Mission, Mr. Robert S. Deutsch, where the group met with academic and
  business leaders and other distinguished citizens of Turkey.	At the
  residence the Archons visited the grove of trees indigenous to America
  planted by Ambassador Pearson in commemoration of the victims of September
  11th.  At the banquet the previous evening, the delegation had presented
  the Ambassador with a tree for the grove.

  Later on Monday, the Archon group visited the Ataturk Mausoleum, a
  customary practice of visiting delegations.  Following, they met with
  Ambassador Baki Ilkin at the Foreign Ministry, where frank discussions
  were held on the concerns of the Orthodox faithful of America regarding
  the Ecumenical Patriarchate and religious tolerance.

  On Tuesday the Archons visited Halki Theological School accompanied by His
  All Holiness Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew and Ambassador Pearson.  At
  that symbolic venue a presentation entitled Religious Tolerance, in the
  Context of Interfaith Dialogue was offered by Bishop Emmanuel of Reghion,
  the official representative of the Orthodox Church to the European Union.
  While at the seminary, Ambassador Pearson stated, "The United States
  continues to encourage Turkey?to let the light shine forth once again here
  from Halki."

  Regarding the presentation on religious tolerance and the focus of the
  visits to Ankara and Halki, Archon National Commander Dr. Anthony
  Limberakis stated: "Religious tolerance and freedom is a recurring theme
  that forms the underpinnings of the American way of life. When the
  colonies were organized into the United States of America, the
  constitutional draftsmen ensured that the government of that fledgling
  nation would not interfere with the free exercise of religious beliefs nor
  promote an official state religion. Archons of the Ecumenical Patriarchate
  in America expect no less from the government of Turkey.  We, as Orthodox
  Christians in America are under the direct jurisdiction of the Ecumenical
  Patriarchate.  The canonical head and spiritual father of our Church in
  the United States of America is the Ecumenical Patriarch of
  Constantinople, and it is an infringement of our rights as American
  citizens to worship in America when our spiritual father cannot freely,
  and without government interference conduct his ministry to serve his
  flock, a flock that spans the four corners of the world and not just the
  country of Turkey."

  Dr. Limberakis further stated: "It is an infringement of our rights as
  American citizens when we cannot educate our clergy at the Halki School of
  Theology.  It is an infringement of our rights as American citizens when
  the Ecumenical Patriarchate cannot freely exercise its rights as a
  property owner.  Quite frankly, we are tired of the head of world
  Orthodoxy being treated as a second-class citizen.  It is a true injustice
  that compromises democracy and human rights in this country that has been
  a friend of the United States for over 50 years. When we return home
  tomorrow to the United States, we will inform our own members of Congress
  and the State Department of the current situation regarding the
  infringements of religious freedom and it is our hope the Turkish
  government will address these serious issues of mutual concern with a
  sense of urgency."

  The annual pilgrimage concluded on Tuesday evening with a banquet hosted
  by the Archons in honor of His All Holiness Ecumenical Patriarch
  Bartholomew on the occasion of the 11th anniversary of his election as
  Ecumenical Patriarch.  The event was attended by leading Turkish citizens,
  academic and media professionals, and members of the Turkish Parliament.

  The Order of St. Andrew / Archons of the Ecumenical Patriarchate is a body
  of Orthodox Christian Americans comprised of over 800 leading churchmen in
  the United States.  Members include businessmen, industrialists, United
  States congressmen, university professors, and many more dedicated
  stewards of the Orthodox Church.  The primary mission of the Order is to
  promote and defend the Holy Mother Church of Constantinople, the
  Ecumenical Patriarchate.