From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS - Celtic Bishops issue message of support for Archbishop

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Mon, 09 Dec 2002 16:17:44 -0800

ACNS 3223     |     IRELAND/SCOTLAND/WALES     |     9 DECEMBER 2002

Celtic Bishops issue strong message of support for Archbishop Rowan

The Bishops of the Church of Ireland, Episcopal Church of Scotland and the
Church in Wales, meeting in conference at Llandudno, released a strong
message of support for Archbishop Rowan, as he prepares to leave his present
ministry as Archbishop of Wales and take up a new ministry as Archbishop of
Canterbury. The statement in full says:

"As Bishops of the Church of Ireland, the Episcopal Church of Scotland and
the Church in Wales meeting in Llandudno we wish to offer our prayerful good
wishes to our colleague and friend Archbishop Rowan Williams as he prepares
for his enthronement as Archbishop of Canterbury.

"In the Celtic Churches we have long valued his spirituality, integrity,
leadership, scholarship and humility. We pray that those gifts will be
enhanced by the spirit of God as he undertakes the leadership of the Church
of England and the Anglican communion. We express our confidence in the
leadership of our international family which we believe he will offer as we
remember his fellowship with great affection."

[A photograph to accompany this article is available from
http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acns/]