From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Christian Leaders Keep Pressing for Child Tax Credit Benefit

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Wed, 02 Jul 2003 10:40:55 -0700

National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CHRISTIAN LEADERS CONTINUE TO PRESSURE PRESIDENT TO INTERVENE ON CHILD TAX
CREDIT BENEFIT

June 26, 2003, Washington, D.C.-The National Council of Churches USA (NCC)
today continued to pressure President George W. Bush to urge Congress to
restore the child tax credit benefit for low income families that was
dropped from the final tax bill, which he signed into law last month.

With the quickly approaching Congressional recess, the NCC sent a second
copy of the letter that was signed by Christian leaders last week to
encourage the President to intervene on behalf of nearly 12 million families
that would not receive the tax relief.

In a cover letter, NCC General Secretary Dr. Bob Edgar thanked President
Bush for his statement last week asking Congress to further extend the child
tax credit. However, Dr. Edgar noted that without further intervention, the
Senate version of the tax bill could die in Congress.

Referring to a speech the President made in Minnesota last week, Edgar noted
that similar to those who will receive the tax cut, there are millions of
low income families who could use the tax credit to save for their children'
s education or to meet other needs.

"These parents also understand, as you have espoused, the importance of
loving children with heart and soul. However, they will not have the same
opportunity to better their children's lives if this bill dies in Congress,"
said the letter.

The updated letter included the signatures of two additional denominational
leaders from the United Church of Christ and the International Council of
Community Churches who asked that their names be added, bringing the total
number of signatories to 13.

"We plan to keep putting pressure on the President and Congress until the
Senate version of the tax bill is passed. If this bill dies in Congress,
about 12 million children will be sent a message that says they don't matter
because their parents don't make enough money. That's not acceptable to us,"
said Edgar.

The follow-up letter also notes that the NCC will use its networks to compel
Congress to advocate for the inclusion of the child tax credit benefit. June
25, 2003

The first (June 19) letter is available at
www.ncccusa.org/news/03news-bushchildtaxcredit.html.  The new (cover)
letter - posted yesterday for arrival today -- follows.

The President
The White House
Washington, D.C. 20050

Dear Mr. President:

Thank you for your statement on June 19 urging Congress to send you a
further extension of the child tax credit benefit. While we applaud your
comment, we remain concerned that the House leadership will not pass a
bipartisan bill without further intervention from you.

Last week we sent you a letter signed by denominational leaders affiliated
with the National Council of Churches, asking you to call on Congress to
restore the child tax credit benefits that were dropped from the final tax
bill. Since then leaders from the United Church of Christ and International
Council of Community Churches have asked that their names be added to this
letter. We are sending you an updated copy and encourage you to further
press this issue with the House leadership.

Like the single mother, Deborah Simonet, whom you mentioned in your speech
in Minnesota last Thursday, there are millions of other parents who could
use this tax relief to save for your children's college education or to meet
other needs. These parents also understand, as you have espoused, the
importance of loving children with heart and soul. However, they will not
have the same opportunity to better their children's lives if this bill dies
in Congress.

We need your leadership now more than ever, so that millions of low-income
families can secure their children's future. Please push for the House to
pass the Senate version of the tax bill without further delay. To support
you in this effort, we will be using our networks to encourage Congress to
do the same.

I look forward to receiving your response. Thank you and God bless you.

Sincerely,

Rev. Bob Edgar
General Secretary

-end-

Media contact, Washington, D.C.: Leslie Tune, (202) 544-2350, ext. 11 or
(202) 297-2191 (cell); New York: Carol Fouke, (212) 870-2252.

---
Send Email address changes to: nccc_usa@ncccusa.org.