From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Lutheran Youth Gather In Atlanta To 'Do Life'

From NEWS@ELCA.ORG
Date Thu, 17 Jul 2003 19:04:13 -0500

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

July 17, 2003

Lutheran Youth Gather In Atlanta To 'Do Life'
03-YG-03-JAC*

     ATLANTA (ELCA) -- "You have literally come from all over the
world to do 'ubuntu,' to do life," said the Rev. Mark S. Hanson,
presiding bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
(ELCA) during the opening ceremony of the ELCA Youth Gathering
"Do life! Ubuntu," July 16 at the Georgia Dome here.
     The Gathering is meeting July 16-20 and July 23-27.  The two
events will bring together some 40,000 high-school-age and adult
Lutherans to participate in worship, community service, Bible
study and fun.
     The mass gathering began with music, singing and dancing
followed by Hanson, who entered the dome on a scooter.	Hanson
addressed the 23,000 young people saying, "We're a church proud
of you and give thanks for you."
     The opening keynote speaker, Craig Kielburger, Thornhill,
Ontario, is founder of Free the Children, an international
organization that speaks out for children's rights.  Kielburger
has traveled to more than 40 countries visiting street and
working children and speaking out for children's rights.
     "We are the instruments through which God works," Kielburger
said.  He spoke about the importance of people working together
and living out Christian faith through action.
     "To those who much is given, much is expected in return," he
said.
     During his speech, Kielburger talked about meeting the late
Mother Theresa in Calcutta.  "She said to me, 'We can only do
small things with great love,'" he recounted.
     Encouraging youth to use God-given gifts, Kielburger said
that God has given each person certain talents that are best when
used with the gifts of others.	"It doesn't matter if you are
working internationally or in your own back yard," he said.
     Kielburger ended his speech by encouraging youth to share
their talents.	"We must go back to our homes, our churches, our
communities and share the spirit ... the spirit of ubuntu," he
said.
     Other presenters included Jessica Grieser, a senior at the
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Mich., the band Lost and
Found, Freddie Hendricks Youth Ensemble of Atlanta, and Jesus
painter Michael Lewis, Orlando, Fla.

Information from the ELCA Youth Gathering can be found at
http://www.elca.org/gathering/home.html on the Web.

*Jessica A. Crane is completing her bachelor of arts degree at
Concordia College, Moorhead, Minn.  This summer she is an intern
with ELCA News and Media Production.

For information contact:
http://www.elca.org/news