From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Youth Learn That Life Is A Gift

From NEWS@ELCA.ORG
Date Fri, 18 Jul 2003 18:24:01 -0500

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

July 18, 2003

ELCA Youth Learn That Life Is A Gift
03-YG-07-MR

     ATLANTA (ELCA) -- "The question I would like for us to
consider, one that seldom gets the attention it deserves,
pertains to the nature of our belly buttons.  Are you an in-ee or
an out-ee?," the Rev. David J. Vasquez, campus pastor, Luther
College, Decorah, Iowa, asked 23,000 high-school-age and adult
Lutherans gathered here for the Evangelical Lutheran Church in
America (ELCA) Youth Gathering.
     Luther is one of 28 colleges and universities of the ELCA.
Vasquez spoke during the Gathering's evening program July 17 at
the Georgia Dome.
     The Gathering is meeting July 16-20 and July 23-27.  The two
events bring together some 40,000 youth and adult Lutherans from
across the country and around the world to participate in
worship, community service, Bible study and fun.
     Under the 2003 ELCA Youth Gathering theme, "Do Life!
Ubuntu," Vasquez delivered a message about God's gift of life and
baptism.
     "Belly buttons are clear proof that God has a sense of
humor," Vasquez said.  "Belly buttons remind us of our
dependence.  For at least nine months, we were totally dependent
on someone else for our very existence.  Nobody can make it alone
because life is a gift."
     "We live in a culture that prides itself on being able to do
things alone," Vasquez told young people.  "But life is a gift
from God and we are not alone.	From the moment of creation, God
was bent on making room for us."
     Vasquez said water serves as another reminder that life is a
gift.  "At baptism God broke water and said, 'You are my child,
with you I am well pleased.'"
     "My hope and prayer for us tonight and for our church is
that we would decorate the life God has given to us.  Because
life is a gift, we can do life and live life to the fullest.
Decorate it with the things God has called you to do.  A little
navel gazing goes a long way," he said.
     Lisa Smith, student, Pacific Lutheran Theological Seminary,
Berkeley, Calif., said baptism "is a sign of God's love and
faithfulness.  At baptism, God marked us as God's own and calls
us into the diverse family of God."  Smith delivered a keynote
presentation.  Pacific Lutheran is one of eight seminaries of the
ELCA.
     Smith told young people, "You are marked by your talents.
God has given you life and identity.  You are a child of God,
marked by Christ, and a member of God's family."
     Davey and Goliath made a special appearance at the program.
Aired on commercial television in the 1960s through the early
1980s, Davey and Goliath is a stop-motion animated series
starring Davey Hansen, his dog Goliath, and other family and
friends.  Their appearance drew cheers and a standing ovation.
The characters led a "conga line" of young people moving to the
music of Ken Medema, Brier Patch Music, Grandville, Mich., and
the 2003 Atlanta Gathering Praise Band and Praise Choir.
     Special musical guests included Adam McKnight and The Voices
of Atlanta.  Stacey Norgren, Tempe, Ariz., and Karlis Kezbers,
Oklahoma, were the program's emcees.

     Information from the ELCA Youth Gathering can be found at
http://www.elca.org/gathering/home.html on the Web.

For information contact:
http://www.elca.org/news