From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopalians: Letter to bishops with jurisdiction on consent process

From dmack@episcopalchurch.org
Date Tue, 22 Jul 2003 16:45:02 -0400

July 22, 2003

2003-164

Episcopalians: Letter to bishops with jurisdiction on consent
process

Date: July 9, 2003

An unusually large number of Episcopal elections will have taken
place within three months of the forthcoming triennial meeting
of the General Convention in Minneapolis; indeed, we expect
consents to be sought with respect to ten such elections, in
order to promote efficiency and clarity as to the procedures to
be followed, the Presiding Bishop has asked me to outline the
steps that will be taken as to these elections:

1. As you know, under art. II.2 of the Constitution, "the
consent of a majority of the Bishops of this Church exercising
jurisdiction" must be obtained, regardless of when the election
has taken place. (Under Art. I.2 of the Constitution, bishops
with "jurisdiction" means diocesan bishops.  They are
distinguished from bishop's coadjutor and other bishops.)  Thus,
while consents to these elections will be sought at the
forthcoming Convention, that process is a separate one from the
business of the whole House of Bishops.

2. On the other hand, as you also know, given the timing of
these elections, the "consent of the House of Deputies" at the
forthcoming Convention will be "required in place of that of a
majority of the Standing Committees" Under Art.II.2.

3. There are now 106 bishops with jurisdiction.  Milwaukee,
Montana, and New Jersey are vacant.  Accordingly, the consents
of a majority of 106 bishops with jurisdiction, or 54, must be
obtained for a bishop to be ordained; and each of the 106
bishops with jurisdiction is to be given an opportunity to give
or withhold his or her consent.

4. The Presiding Bishop expects to call for the consent process
as to each of the ten elections after having received notice
that the House of Deputies has given its consent.  At that time,
each bishop with jurisdiction will be given a separate consent
form for that election and will be asked to return the form to
the Secretary of the House, within a time specified, either
granting or withholding consent.  As you know, any form not
returned to the Secretary will be deemed to denote lack of
consent.

5. It has come to the attention of the Presiding Bishop that one
or more bishops with jurisdiction may not be able to attend this
meeting of the Convention.  In order to ensure that every bishop
with jurisdiction is afforded the right and responsibility under
the Constitution to grant or withhold consent as to any
election, the Presiding Bishop has directed me to ask that any
bishop with jurisdiction who does not intend to come to the
Convention inform me promptly at Secretary of the House of
Bishops, 815 Second Avenue, 7th Floor, New York, NY 10017, no
later than July 18th, so that I may distribute a consent form
for each election to that bishop in time for it to be returned
to me no later than July 28th, at 815 Second Avenue, 7th Floor,
New York, NY 10017.  Each such consent form shall be held by me
under seal until the Presiding Bishop calls for the bishops with
jurisdiction present at the Convention to act on an election.

Best wishes,

The Rt. Rev. Richard SO Chang

Secretary of House of Bishops

------