From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

NCC to food chains: Treat Workers like Taco Bell

From "NCC News" <pjenks@ncccusa.org>
Date Wed, 01 Jun 2005 13:03:23 -0400

National Council of Churches calls on fast food chains to guarantee human
rights of farm workers in their supply chains

NCC also commends Taco Bell and the Coalition of Immokalee Workers for
leading the way

June 1, 2005

Louisville -- The executive board of the National Council of Churches USA has
called on fast food chains to follow the lead of Taco Bell to guarantee the
human rights of farm workers in their supply chains.

"Four years ago farm workers from Immokalee Florida stepped forward in faith,
believing that together as consumers, corporations, and workers we could
create a better way of doing business that builds human well-being," said
Bishop Thomas J. Hoyt, Jr., President of the NCC.

Workers picking tomatoes for Taco Bell are seeing a significant increase in
their wages and the promise of improved working conditions because of the
March agreement between the Coalition of Immokalee Workers (CIW) and Yum
Brands.

"And today we are seeing the first fruits of our efforts," Hoyt said. "But in
truth, this is only the first step. We now look to McDonald's, Burger King
and Subway to walk with the CIW and their allies into a new future, so that
the human rights of farm workers throughout the fast-food industry will be
similarly ensured."

The executive board commended the CIW and Taco Bell for reaching the
precedent-setting agreement that will improve wages and working conditions
for farm workers. The agreement ended an almost four year consumer boycott of
Taco Bell, which the NCC supported since November of 2003.

"We commend the CIW for the principled and non-violent campaign it led, which
drew the world's attention to the grave abuses endured by farm workers in
this country and our ability as consumers and major corporations to help put
an end to exploitation," said The Rev. Dr. Robert Edgar, NCC General
Secretary.

"We are particularly pleased that Yum Brands is taking a leadership role in
promoting this kind of model throughout the fast-food industry," Edgar said.
"It is time for other major buyers to follow Taco Bell's lead. Taco Bell has
demonstrated that change is possible."

"The NCC publicly calls upon McDonald's, Burger King, and Subway to support
the socially responsible purchasing principles established in this agreement
and to meet with the CIW to ensure the highest standards of human rights in
their own supply chains," Edgar said.

Farm workers picking tomatoes in Florida are earning 40-45 cents for every
32-pound bucket of tomatoes they pick and have an annual median income of
$7,500, according to the Department of Labor.

The CIW-Yum Brands agreement established the first-ever direct, ongoing
payment by a fast-food industry leader to farm workers in its supply chain to
address sub-standard farm labor wages (increasing workers wages from 40 cents
to around 72 cents per bucket of tomatoes picked).

It also established an enforceable Code of Conduct for agricultural suppliers
in the fast-food industry, guaranteed by CIW involvement in the monitoring of
suppliers, and market incentives for agricultural suppliers willing to
respect their workers' rights, even when those rights are not guaranteed by
law.

Contact: NCC News. Leslie Tune, 202-544-2350, ltune@ncccusa.org; Philip E.
Jenks, 212-870-2252, pjenks@ncccusa.org