From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Newsline - Church of the Brethren news update

From COBNews@aol.com
Date Thu, 2 Jun 2005 18:38:00 EDT

Date: June 2, 2005
Contact: Cheryl Brumbaugh-Cayford
V: 847/742-5100 F: 847/742-6103
E-MAIL: _CoBNews@AOL.Com_ (mailto:CoBNews@AOL.Com)

CHURCH OF THE BRETHREN NEWSLINE
June 2, 2005

CHURCH OF THE BRETHREN LEADERS TO TAKE PART IN DELEGATION TO SUDAN

June 2, 2005 (Elgin, IL) -- A small interfaith delegation of spiritual
leaders from the United States will visit the Darfur region of Sudan, where
many
thousands of black Sudanese have been killed or forced into refugee camps by

what many are calling a genocide. The delegation is being sponsored by
leaders
of the National Black Leadership Roundtable and the Muslim American Society
Freedom Foundation.

Two Church of the Brethren leaders have been invited to join the delegation:

Jim Hardenbrook, Moderator of the Church of the Brethren Annual Conference;
and Phil Jones, Director of the
Brethren Witness/Washington Office of the Church of the Brethren General
Board. The delegation also includes Jewish, Muslim, and Roman Catholic
participants, and will be led by the Hon. Walter E. Fauntroy, President of
the
National Black Leadership Roundtable.

The trip is planned for June 6-15. In addition to Darfur, the delegation
also will visit officials of the Sudan government in Khartoum, and attend the

first few days of an African Union peace
meeting on Sudan, to be held in Lagos, Nigeria.

Hardenbrook, who is pastor of Nampa (Idaho) Church of the Brethren, said he
hopes the trip will allow him to "be a real advocate for the people of
Darfur." Facing people who are responsible for the deaths of thousands is
going to a
spiritual battle for him, he shared. "We need boldness in speaking to power,

but also ears ready to listen. We need to learn, and learn a lot, I hope,"
he said. Hardenbrook visited southern Sudan in 2002 on a Faith Expedition
trip
sponsored by the Church of the Brethren General Board. His congregation
financially supports a school in southern Sudan.

Jones has been an advocate and activist for the people of Sudan over recent
years. He traveled to southern Sudan in the fall of 2003 and has hosted
leaders from the south for numerous State Department, governmental, and
nongovernmental meetings. In the summer of 2004, Jones participated in an
organized
four-month campaign designed to bring attention to the genocide in Darfur.
This
action included nonviolent witness and his arrest in July 2004.

"In a small way, we hope this interfaith delegation will offer support and
encouragement to the suffering people of Darfur, allowing them to see that
there are those who recognize the evils
of this genocide," Jones said. "In embracing their pain and hearing their
stories, we hope to renew our strength and deepen our passion to be a
stronger
voice here in the US."

Goals for the June delegation include supporting an opportunity for an
African solution to the crisis in Sudan and addressing the genocidal campaign
that
continues to be waged in Darfur, according to the National Black Leadership
Roundtable. The delegation also will support the peace accord signed between

leaders of the Sudan Peoples' Liberation Army of southern Sudan, and the
Khartoum government of the north of Sudan. In addition, the trip is made to
support Nigerian president Olusegun Obasanjo, chairman of the African Union,
who
is holding a peace meeting with all of the warring parties in Sudan. The
three-week long meeting in Lagos is called "unprecedented" by the National
Black
Leadership Roundtable, and will include those working out the north-south
Sudan
accord as well as the warring parties in Darfur.

"Leaders on both sides believe that the presence...of an interfaith
delegation of respected spiritual leaders such as we are putting together
will be
very helpful to the deliberations," said Fauntroy in his invitation to
delegation members.

In Darfur, the delegation will be hosted by a Muslim nongovernmental agency,

Islamic Relief USA, which is administering two refugee camps in Darfur for
the United Nations.

On Friday, June 3, before leaving for Sudan, delegation members including
Hardenbrook and Jones plan to meet in New York with members of the Darfur
Justice Movement and United Nations officials. Other members of the
delegation
plan a brief meeting with the US Department of State and members of Secretary

Condoleezza Rice's staff.

The Church of the Brethren is a Christian denomination committed to
continuing the work of Jesus peacefully and simply, and to living out its
faith in
community. The denomination is based in the Anabaptist and Pietist faith
traditions and is one of the three Historic Peace Churches. It celebrates its
300th
anniversary in 2008. It counts about 130,000 members across the United
States and Puerto Rico, and has missions and sister churches in Brazil, the
Dominican Republic, Haiti, and Nigeria.

# # #

For more information contact:

Cheryl Brumbaugh-Cayford
Director of News Services
Church of the Brethren General Board
1451 Dundee Ave.
Elgin, IL 60120
847-742-5100 ext. 260
_cbrumbaugh-cayford_gb@brethren.org_
(mailto:cbrumbaugh-cayford_gb@brethren.org)

The Church of the Brethren Newsline is produced by Cheryl Brumbaugh-Cayford,

director of news services for the Church of the Brethren General Board.
Newsline stories may be reprinted provided that Newsline is cited as the
source.
To receive Newsline by e-mail, write _cobnews@aol.com_
(mailto:cobnews@aol.com) or call 800-323-8039 ext. 260.