From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] 600 pastors repair to mountain resort for rest and

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ECUNET.ORG>
Date Wed, 8 Jun 2005 16:15:45 -0500

Note #8759 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

05301
June 8, 2005

Strategic retreat

600 pastors repair to mountain resort for rest and renewal

by Rev. Nancy Kahaian
First Presbyterian Church, Michigan City, IN
Chair, General Assembly Council

SNOWBIRD, UT ? There was no need to color-code by time and event, no
compulsion to adhere to any taskmaster's agenda: The first-ever National
Pastors Retreat was laid-back and quietly prayerful.

The event, held at this mountain resort over Memorial Day weekend,
took its theme from Mark 6: 30-32: "Come away to a deserted place all by
yourselves and rest awhile."

The uniquely inspired retreat, co-sponsored by the six agencies of
the General Assembly, was a chance to rest and worship far away from the
pressures and responsibilities of a pastor's daily life.

Attending as a pastor and as a representative of the General Assembly
Council, I traveled west expecting to reconnect with friends from other
places, make new friends of other clergy people, listen to and learn from
worship leaders and presenters, enjoy the beauty and serenity of the Utah
mountains, and draw closer to God in a daily rhythm of intentional quiet.

My expectations were fulfilled beyond my imagining.

I enjoyed leisurely lunches and unhurried conversations with friends.
I was deeply inspired by the profound insights and enduring devotion of
pastors from others places. I was awestruck by the majestic beauty of the
snow-capped mountains. I enjoyed the daily afternoon "free time," when we
allowed whim to lead us, secure in the notion serendipity is a wonderful
guidebook. We were as free as the wind - and the Spirit - blows.

The keynote speaker, Walter Brueggemann, and worship leaders James
Forbes, Barbara Brown Taylor and Tony Campolo collectively presented a
balanced Christian perspective with their individual theological, prophetic,
devotional, pastoral and evangelical connections to the Biblical text.

Curious by nature, I questioned a cross-section of clergywomen on
their reasons for attending, and composed a "Top Seven" list (with apologies
to David Letterman and deference to a Biblically significant numeral): to
hear the keynoter and preachers; to travel west of the Mississippi River; to
satisfy a "hunger" for the companionship of other pastors; to enjoy some
"quality time" with a spouse; to take advantage of a convenient location
(voiced by pastors from the West); to get some much-needed rest and
reflection; and, finally - "because Snowbird has a spa."

My conversations with dozens of colleagues enriched my impression of
the current mood of Presbyterian pastors. No matter when and where we
graduated from seminary or were ordained, what presbytery we hailed from, how
old we are, or how we may agree or disagree on theological issues, we seemed
to share a stubborn resilience.

The church lives in a world that is constantly changing. While some
seem well-equipped for the crunch of pastoral responsibilities in this
post-modern context, others feel distinctly ill-equipped to tackle the
challenges of being church in this new century. The ongoing pastoral work -
preparing another lesson, preaching another sermon, attending another
meeting, dealing with another troublesome person, and anticipating the
challenges of the present and future church - demands much more than
technique. Pastors are shaped and challenged by the questions we face; our
congregations' cultures and styles; and the energies available in our
sessions, our memberships and ourselves.

Our mood these days is similar to those of many others in modern
America: We are tired and frustrated, depressed and angry, encouraged and
energized, grateful and blessed. We are also open to the continuing work of
trying to discern the meanings of our vocation, and we recognizing the need
for a courageous and creative willingness to do what God calls us to do.

While pastors may face occasional periods of "spiritual gridlock,"
when the joy of serving God and the church is swallowed up by constant
demands on our time and attention, an event like the National Pastors Retreat
offers a fresh encounter with grace.

My impression is that the 670 pastors who gathered on a mountaintop
in Utah have affirmed, yet again, that the good news of Jesus Christ is the
beginning of everything that makes life meaningful and enjoyable.
Collectively, we represent an emerging, energizing relationship of pastoral
leaders within the Presbyterian Church (USA).

The recent retreat was a welcome confirmation that we will have the
support, encouragement and abundant grace we will need as we rise to the many
challenges before us.

Thanks be to God.

Editor's note: This is the first of three articles by participants in the
recent National Pastors Retreat.