From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

MCC's Rev. Troy Perry on Supreme Court's Medical Marijuana Ruling

From UfmccHq@aol.com
Date Thu, 9 Jun 2005 15:12:21 EDT

Statement by The Reverend Dr. Troy D. Perry
Moderator, Metropolitan Community Churches

On The U.S. Supreme Court Ruling On Medical Marijuana

"The Supreme Court's ruling is an act of exceptional cruelty," says human
rights activist Rev. Troy Perry.

STATEMENT:

June 9, 2005

With its ruling on medical marijuana, the U.S. Supreme Court has voted to
treat sick people as criminals.

By a vote of 6-3, the Court has effectively invalidated compassionate state
laws, thereby prohibiting the use of medical marijuana by people who suffer
from diabetes, glaucoma, cancer and HIV/AIDS.

The Supreme Court's ruling is an act of exceptional cruelty.

California, Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Hawaii, Maine, Montana, Nevada,
Oregon, Washington and Vermont all have passed laws that allow for the
compassionate use of this drug by individuals who suffer from chronic pain
or the
debilitating side effects of treatments for these illnesses. The Court's
decision
to invalidate these laws will lead to needless pain and suffering.

In their decision, the majority justices ruled that Congress alone is
responsible for passing federal legislation that will allow sick people
access to
this drug -- a drug that has been proven to alleviate pain, induce appetite,

and relax muscles, and relieve suffering in ways that many prescription
drugs
cannot provide.

Today, I am calling upon the Congress of the United States to enact
legislation that will allow compassionate use in every state where doctors
prescribe
medical marijuana for their patients.

Before the 1996 appearance of protease inhibitors and other HIV medications,

medical marijuana was one of the few remedies that brought relief to people
wit HIV/AIDS. I am proud that some of our churches, including Golden Gate
MCC
and MCC San Francisco provided for the care of persons with HIV and AIDS by
distributing medical marijuana to people with doctors' notes documenting
their need. A hallmark of the LGBT community is that we have historically
found
ways to address our needs -- social, political, spiritual as well as medical

-- when those needs have been ignored or devalued by the larger society.

In 1996, Phyllis Nelson, a member of Metropolitan Community Churches and a
mother who lost two sons to AIDS, said that any public official who had
spent
an entire morning, as she had, trying to help her son eat a half bowl of
cereal, would never oppose the compassionate use of medical marijuana. The
same
is true today.

It is time to end the hypocrisy that makes medical marijuana illegal, and
it's time for the U.S. Congress to enact laws that will make medical
marijuana
available to anyone whose condition would be improved by its regulated use.

Jesus said, "I desire mercy, and not sacrifice." (Gospel of Matthew 12:7)
There is no virtue in people suffering pain or discomfort needlessly. I
call
on Congress to enact legislation that will show mercy to persons who are
suffering, and I call the LGBT community to a new era of health activism. We
must
not become complacent in the face of any injustice. Had this ruling occurred

10 or 15 years ago, our community would have taken to the streets to
publicly demonstrate our outrage. It is time for us to reclaim our voice,
and our
actions, and our activism.

In Metropolitan Community Churches, we will not be done "Acting Up" until
everyone has access to the health care they deserve, not as a privilege, but
as
a right.

/signed/
The Reverend Dr. Troy D. Perry
Moderator, Metropolitan Community Churches

(END)

For Additional Information, Contact:
MCC Communications Department
8704 Santa Monica Boulevard