From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ACNS] News Digest 10 June 2005

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Fri, 10 Jun 2005 16:51:51 -0700

The following is a roundup of the recent ACNS Digest stories, with reports from ACO, the US, Australia, Tanzania, Scotland and England. The ACNS Digest can be found here:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acns/digest/index.cfm

(396) 10-June-2005 - Archbishop Ndungane Indicts World Leaders On Poverty -
USA

[Washington - 7 June 2005] In a sermon to leaders and representatives from over 40 religious organisations, including every major faith group, Anglican Archbishop, Njongonkulu Ndungane said that he believes public opinion against poverty "is growing like never before." He was invited to speak at Washington National Cathedral in the USA by the Interfaith Convocation on Monday evening. The event was hosted by anti-hunger organisations: Bread for the World, Call to Renewal, America's Second Harvest and Mazon.

The Archbishop called this a "unique and historical occasion when all faith leaders in the USA from what are commonly known as the 'religious right' and the 'religious left' gathered at the Cathedral to issue a clarion call of 'no more hunger in the USA and in the world'."

In his sermon the Archbishop called poverty 'evil'. He said that despite the USA's enormous wealth, 36 million Americans are food insecure - that is they do not know where their next meal is coming from - and, of these, 13 million are children. He said that what stands in the way of the ending of growing US and world hunger is not lack of resources but political will.

"Hunger arises when people become economically alienated, unable adequately to participate in the buying and selling of labour, goods and services, so as to be able to access enough to eat. That is why poverty and hunger are often found in rural areas," the Archbishop said.

He added that trade policies are still geared to the advantage of rich people and countries, which makes it far harder for poor countries and their populations to escape poverty. He said that despite the unprecedented growth in world economy, 800 million people go hungry every day and 30 thousand people die daily of poverty-related causes. The Archbishop said that this is not only sinful and immoral but also a scandal and an indictment on world leaders.

Prior to giving his sermon the Archbishop said: "What we are calling for is a sustainable livelihood for everyone created in God's image. Aid alone cannot do that. What we are calling for is trade justice. Developing countries spend 300 million dollars to protect trade through subsidies and tariffs, yet if Africa increased its share of world exports by even 1%, this would generate 70 billion US Dollars. This is approximately five times what the continent receives in aid."

In his sermon, Archbishop Ndungane said that almost every religious and ethical tradition "calls on us to feed the hungry." He made a passionate call for anti-poverty and anti-hunger organisations to continue to work together in strong coalitions to put pressure on politicians; to lobby locally, nationally and internationally; and to "fight hunger on every front - global justice, national policy making and support for every individual who is in need."

Secretary General of the UN, Kofi Annan, has called a meeting of world leaders in September in an attempt to get the Millennium Development Goals back on track. Poverty and hunger will also be at the top of the agenda of the G-8 Summit in July and a major factor in the Doha Round of world trade talks due to be completed by the end of the year.

"This year, everywhere politicians turn, they will find poverty and hunger on the agenda. They cannot escape!" the Archbishop said in his sermon. "We must put all our weight behind this growing momentum for change because now we have the chance to make a difference... Politicians need to be left in no doubt that public opinion, domestic and international, demands justice in relation to poverty and hunger," said Archbishop Ndungane.

For further information or a full copy of the Archbishop's address please phone Penny Lorimer, media liaison for Archbishop Ndungane, on 27 82 894-1522

(395) 10-June-2005 - Volunteers Run Program For Sudanese Refugees - Australia

In 2000, Melbourne University student Matthew Albert, and his friend Anna Grace Hopkins, answered a request on a noticeboard at All Saints Church in Footscray to help a Sudanese family who had recently arrived in Australia. A few weeks later that first family invited their cousins along, and five years later, Matthew now heads 250 volunteers at the Sudanese Australian Integrated Learning (SAIL) Program, a non-profit organisation operating out of three Anglican Churches that aims to meet the needs of the single fastest growing ethnic community in Victoria.

Every week, over 400 Sudanese "SAILors" attend the six mini programs offered by the SAIL Program, including English as a Second Language tutoring for children and adults, playgroups for 0-5 year olds, extra-curricular short courses for school-aged children, excursions, Home Help for Sudanese single mother families, and camps.

"It's more about exposure to activities than quantified achievement," says Matthew. The program provides what may be for some children the only English language social interaction they get. Some of the children speak Arabic, the 'official' language in Sudan, while others speak their tribal language or Swahili.

The team of volunteers, who come from all age groups, give between three and twenty-five hours each a week to the programs, which run every week from February to December.

"All of the SAIL students are refugees from Sudan," says Matthew, explaining that while the Darfur crisis has attracted headlines in recent times, the civil strife has been raging for decades, costing nearly two million lives and crippling the economic and social development of the nation. Four and a half million Sudanese have been displaced. The camps through which most Sudanese have passed before coming to Australia are violent, subject to attack, and rife with disease.

"Almost all Sudanese SAILors have experienced some kind of trauma," Matthew says.

As well as helping the Sudanese arrivals to integrate into the community, the SAIL Program offers Community Talks designed to inform and empower the community about issues pertinent to them including housing, health, migration, tracing lost family members and job-hunting.

"Our ultimate aim is to be obsolete," Matthew told The Melbourne Anglican. He finds it exciting to be part of an organisation that is helping the most recent arrivals to Australia to find their feet in the community, and he is encouraged and inspired by the strength and determination of the Sudanese who attend the program.

"They are so motivated to make it work. They are so resilient," he says.

The relationships built up between SAIL volunteers and refugee families are such that "the one to one relationship means that the 'tutors' get as much out of it as the 'students'." Matthew and Anna Grace still spend every Christmas with the first family they helped.

Matthew is delighted by the support the Anglican Church has given since the very beginning. "The Anglican Churches have been so welcoming of the project," he says.

The SAIL Program has campuses at All Saints Footscray, St. James Dandenong, and St. Eanswythe's Altona. "The Vestries of the churches involved have been very supportive, and so have the Melbourne Anglican Foundation and Irene Donohoue Clyne [Diocesan Coordinator of Cross-Cultural Ministry]," he says.

Prospective volunteers can apply online on the SAIL website. Donations to support the program can be made to the Tax Deductible Migrants and Refugees Settlement Fund at The Melbourne Anglican Foundation, 209 Flinders Lane, Melbourne, VIC 3000

Article from The Melbourne Anglican - June 2005

(394) 10-June-2005 - Numbers Recommended To Train As Clergy Rise - England

A total of 564 men and women were recommended to train as future clergy in the Church of England in 2004; the highest number in six years. The figure represents an increase of more than 10 percent over the 505 recommended in 2003. It has only twice been exceeded in the last 20 years: in 1986 and 1998. The recommendations include 284 men and 280 women.

There were 51 selection conferences last year, attended by 727 candidates testing their vocations. This year is expected to see 52 selection conferences with more than 740 candidates.

"God still calls, people respond, and the Church rejoices - it's very encouraging," said Ven Dr Gordon Kuhrt, Director of Ministry.

The increase in 2004 was among candidates in the 50 plus age bracket, where recommendations rose from 150 in 2003 to 210. The Ministry Division is responding to this trend through a young vocations initiative. The initiative will include teams of clergy and ordinands in their 20s giving presentations in parishes or Higher and Further Education chaplaincies, taking stalls at university careers fairs, and encouraging incumbents and chaplains to actively recruit.

"Attracting young people to ordained ministry is key for the Church's present and future mission and ministry," said the Rt Rev John Gladwin, Bishop of Chelmsford, who chairs the Ministry Division. "What young people may sometimes lack in terms of experience they more than make up for in terms of energy and potential."

Further information available from:

Steve Jenkins tel (020) 7898-1326

(393) 10-June-2005 - Anglican Centre In Rome Appoints New Associate Priest - ACO

The Revd Dr R William Franklin, former Professor of Church History at St John's University, Collegeville, Minnesota and General Seminary, New York, former Dean of Berkeley Divinity School at Yale University, and current Associate Rector for Education at Trinity Church, Boston has been appointed as Associate Priest and Visiting Fellow of the Anglican Centre in Rome from September 2005. His appointment significantly strengthens the staffing of the Anglican Centre alongside the Director, the Rt Revd John Flack and Fr Jonathan Boardman, the Senior Tutor.

The Revd Dr R William Franklin will also be Associate Priest at the Episcopal Church of St Paul-Within-the-Walls and the English Church of All Saints Rome and Associate Director for External Affairs at the American Academy in Rome.

Stephen Platten, the Bishop of Wakefield and Chairman of Governors of the Anglican Centre said, "We are delighted that Professor Franklin is joining the staff of the Centre. This is a clear signal of our commitment to the Anglican-Roman Catholic dialogue at this time of a new pontificate."

For more information please contact:
The Rev Dr R William Franklin
Associate Rector
Trinity Church in the City of Boston
617-536-0944 X371
617-536-8916 FAX
617-306-3777 Cell
mailto:bfranklin@trinitychurchboston.org
http://www.trinitychurchboston.org

(392) 08-June-2005 - Scottish College of Bishops Releases Statement -
Scotland

The College of Bishops of the Scottish Episcopal Church released a statement, yesterday, concerning future discussion of issues raised by the Windsor Report in the Province. The text of that statement follows:

Discussion up to the Present
Like all provinces in the Anglican Communion, we are at present sharing in two processes of discussion. In the Scottish Episcopal Church, we recently considered the Study Guide issued by the Working Party on Sexuality. Responses were collated and made available in the Province. The College of Bishops then made and circulated its own response to that material in February 2004. Similarly, the Windsor Report was considered in the Province. When responses to it were collated, the College made and circulated its own response both to it, and to the Primates' Communique in March 2005.

Between now and Lambeth 2008, we are committed, as a Province, to sharing in the wider debate taking place across the Anglican Communion. We must, therefore, seek in a spirit of generosity to engage with and appreciate the full range of views that have been expressed and continue to be expressed both within our Province and elsewhere in our worldwide Communion.

The Issues Now Before Us
The Anglican Communion is at present attempting to deal with three major issues on this subject:

1. Its attitude to people of homosexual orientation, including those who are in long term same-sex relationships;

2. Whether acceptance extends to ministry in general and, in particular, to ordination to priesthood and episcopacy;

3. How the church can hold within a single communion those who differ in their response to this issue and believe that this is, for various and differing reasons, an issue of fundamental importance.

Material for Further Consideration
The members of the College of Bishops recognise that they have a teaching and pastoral responsibility. They, therefore, wish to create an environment in which passionately held views can be expressed and heard in an atmosphere of charity, acceptance and honesty.

They are aware that there is a danger that even to encourage debate on this subject is to raise concern that 'traditional' positions may be modified, that an open attitude may become more closed or that what has been an informal acceptance of difference may be made more difficult just by the process of debate. However, such a debate must take place in every province of the Anglican Communion, as we move to the Lambeth Conference in 2008.

Everyone who engages in this debate must consider a number of factors:
1. The interpretation and the authority of scripture - what it says and how it is to be read;

2. An examination of the tradition of faith and the documents which have been produced as part of the Anglican Communion's own examination of this issue. These most recently include the Resolutions of the 1998 Lambeth Conference, the Windsor Report and the Primates' Communique. Further material will arise between now and 2008, possibly as a result of the coming meeting of the Anglican Consultative Council;

3. Experience of the presence and the ministry of people of homosexual orientation within the life of the church;

4. Ways in which our understanding of gender and sexuality has developed and continues to develop in our society.

In all this, we must seek to be open to learning the truth of God from one another under the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

The College's Commitment and Invitation
The College of Bishops, therefore, affirms its commitment to the task set before the whole Communion - to engage openly and prayerfully with the full range of issues and material which are now part of this debate.

The College invites the Province to share in this process, listening to each other and to voices from other Provinces with that same spirit of generosity as has characterised our own debate so far.

(391) 08-June-2005 - Dioceses in India and Brazil Receive CMPC Grants - USA

The Diocese of North East India and the Diocese of Santa Maria, Brazil each received grants from the Church Missions Publishing Company (CMPC) at the meeting of its Board of Managers in May.

The Diocese of North East India is surrounded by other countries - Nepal, Bangladesh, Bhutan, and Myanmar. It is comprised of people who speak many languages and dialects. Among the priorities listed on its web site are the Rejuvenation of Pastoral Ministry and the Equipping of God's people for Participatory Learning. As a result of this grant of $3,000, the diocese will be able to publish pastoral and liturgical material in the languages and dialects of its people: Diocesan Rules and Guidelines will be printed in Assamese and English; copies of the Service of Dedication for a Church Building and of the Order of the Lord's Supper will be printed in Assamese; copies of the Confirmation Service will be printed in Karbi; and copies of Prayers for Special Occasions will be printed in both the Assamese and Khasi languages.

The Diocese of Santa Maria is in Southern Brazil (web site). Anglican chaplaincies were established in Brazil in 1810, with missionary work dating to 1889. In more recent times, Brazil has undergone what has been called an explosion in the growth of Pentecostal churches. In addition, as a country Brazil has encountered great economic and social upheaval. The Bishop of Santa Maria, the Right Rev. Jubal Neves, comments, "We are facing a very complicated time when many sites and booklets arise. The Church needs to offer good materials in order to avoid losing identity and [our] singular role as Anglicans today." The grant to him of $3,000 will go to publish a book of diocesan pastoral letters to help foster Anglican identity in the Latin American context.

CMPC uses interest from an endowment put in place by West Hartford native Edith Beach and her sisters. Beach was "a pillar of St. James' Church." She and her sisters funded The Pan-Anglican, a magazine about mission in the Anglican Communion established and edited by then bishop, The Rt. Rev. Walter Gray. When the magazine ceased publication, the endowments came to support missionary publications.

Applications for grants may be found here. The deadlines are 15 April for Spring grants and 15 November for Fall grants. The maximum grant is normally $3,000.

For more information, please contact the Rev. Rachel W. Thomas at (860) 873-9547.

(390) 08-June-2005 - Large-print Book of Common Prayer Available on CD - USA

Ann Dahlen of the Diocese of Quincy in Illinois has prepared a large-print Book of Common Prayer CD. The CD can be used to help prepare large-print materials for worship services. Equally, visually impaired persons can use the CD as a resource for their devotions.

Ms. Dahlen has been preparing large-print materials since April 2003. These materials have been used at Trinity Episcopal Church, Rock Island, Illinois, and at the past two conventions of the Diocese of Quincy. The large-print CD ministry, she says, "is a labour of love in thankfulness to God for his many blessings and in loving memory of my father who had visions problems."

The recently completed CD is formatted in Word. Pages are laid out for 8 1/2 x 11 inch paper. The main body of type is 18 point.

Since March 2005 Ms. Dahlen has distributed more than 130 CDs to 44 diocese in the United States, as well as to the Convocation of American Churches in Europe in France.

The response to Ms. Dahlen's efforts has been enthusiastic:
"There are several in our congregation that need the larger print - myself included - and it will be put to good use," wrote Patsy Ender of the Church of the Nativity in Grand Junction, Colorado. "I have had to convert some texts myself and do appreciate the time spent by you to get this ready. We all send our thanks for a job well done and much needed."

"I am a Deacon in our Diocese and have Macular Degeneration in both eyes," wrote the Rev. Melanie Christopher of Lakewood, Colorado. "I truly have a difficult time reading the Prayer Book. May God bless you for undertaking this ministry to help so many people like me that have low vision."

"At 56, I had cataract extraction and an interocular lens implant that went all wrong," wrote Patricia Russell of Ransom Canyon, Texas. "After several months of being legally blind in my right eye I really appreciated the old, worn, partial large print BCP our parish had. Since that time I've been looking for a better option than the partial book. You and your ministry are the answer to my prayers."

"I think what you have done is a wonderful gift to all who have vision difficulty, even those of us who refuse to admit it," wrote the Rt. Rev. Creighton Robertson, Bishop of South Dakota.

"We are very happy that we were able to find this CD," wrote Joy Luke of St. Matthew's Episcopal Church in Bloomington, Illinois. "Everyone will appreciate the efforts you have made to make reading and following along easier. Our church has been looking for this material for our visually impaired members for quite some time and want to express to you how much of a difference you are making in many lives."

"Thank you so very much for the offer of the CD - BCP service in large print," wrote the Rev. James R. Hempstead of Church of the Nativity in Boyne City, Michigan. "We have need of such a wonderful gift in our small congregation."

"Thank you and God bless you for your willingness to share the large-print copy of the Prayer Book on CD after your initial work," wrote the Rev. George Berlin, Rector of St. Philip & St. James Episcopal Church, Denver, Colorado. "We have a nice group of folk here who can use this service very much."

"I am an Episcopal priest and I work both in a church and as a chaplain in a nursing home. In addition, I am visually impaired," wrote the Rev. Kuulei Green of Chattanooga, Tennessee. "Thank you for your 'labour of love' and I plan to share it in both places where I work."

"As a person with RP (Retinitis pigmentosa) who is in the process of losing my sight, your work will help me continue to serve the church," wrote the Rev. Stan Upchurch, Archivist of the Episcopal Diocese of Oklahoma and a Deacon at St. John's Church in Norman, Oklahoma.

Donations are always welcome!
The large-print CD is free except for the cost of postage. Nevertheless, Ms. Dahlen would welcome donations to help defray costs of her growing CD ministry. Costs include blank CDs, CD cases, labels, and postage stamps for thank you notes. All donations of money or supplies are greatly appreciated and will help continue this ministry. Several Bishops, clergy and churches have already generously contributed to the CD ministry.
.

To order a CD:
To order a copy of the CD, send a self-addressed, stamped 6 x 9 inch envelope with three 37 cent stamps attached (four if it's a padded envelope) to: Ann Dahlen, 1900 6th Avenue, Apt. 513, Rock Island, IL 61201. If you are outside the U.S. and want to order a CD and need postage cost information, or if you have questions or need other information about the CD, please email Ms. Dahlen at largeprint-help@aol.com or anndahlen3@aol.com.

(389) 08-June-2005 - Church of Tanzania Plans New University - Tanzania

The Anglican Church of Tanzania (ACT) recently released a Bishops' Appeal and fundraising plan for the establishment of a new Anglican University.

The University - to be called St. John's University of Tanzania - will be located in Dodoma in Central Tanzania. Dodoma is the capital of Tanzania and the location of the headquarters of the ACT. The University will also have branches throughout the country and will be linked to existing institutions within and outside the ACT such as hospitals, colleges and Bible Schools. Ideally, the University will enrol its first students by September 2006.

In their appeal, the Bishops of Tanzania presented four reasons for undertaking this new project. First, the University would help to re-establish the Church's role in the provision of social services to the community, a role which was critically weakened by the nationalisation policies of the 1960s. Through its network of 19 diocese, the ACT has been trying to reinvigorate its activities by building new secondary and primary schools. "The establishment of an Anglican University," say the Tanzanian Bishops, "will be a visible apex of a regained initiative."

Second, as a young and developing nation, Tanzania's educational needs are growing rapidly. In order to address these needs, the government of Tanzania has invited the private sector - including religious institutions - to establish, own and run schools and educational institutions. The Bishops believe that "it is important for the ACT to recognise the Government's generosity and seize the opportunity to participate in the provision of education at the highest level."

Third, as the government of Tanzania promotes primary and secondary education, the number of secondary school graduates is increasing tremendously. These graduates must be afforded the opportunity of a university education to prepare them "to play a key role in ensuring that Tanzania is able to cope with the religious, social, and economic demands of our time as well as the challenges of globalisation and information technology."

Fourth, the creation of an Anglican University is part of the Anglican national education policy endorsed by the General Synod of 2002. This policy "recognises that a young nation such as Tanzania needs a well trained work force and good leaders for today and tomorrow who also have reverence for God." Equally, the training of pastors prepared both to minister to the spiritual needs of their congregations and to attend to their parishioner's wider social aspirations will have to take place in a university setting. With these goals in view, the University will offer degrees in theology and religious studies, and will also offer Church professional degrees and degrees in a variety of secular disciplines.

The Bishops of Tanzania aim to raise 30 billion Tanzania Shillings (approximately $30 million) to cover initial University costs. The Bishops will be raising these funds from members of the ACT, from local and international organisations, and from friends overseas.

Full text of the Bishops' appeal can be found here