From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Lutherans Key Leaders At Interfaith Convocation On Hunger

From <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Mon, 13 Jun 2005 10:12:15 -0500

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

June 13, 2005

Lutherans Key Leaders At Interfaith Convocation On Hunger
05-102-JB

WASHINGTON, D.C. (ELCA) -- More than 40 leaders of religious
groups including Christian, Jewish, Muslim and Buddhist
traditions, participated June 6 in an interfaith convocation at
the National Cathedral here. They declared their commitment to
work together to influence U.S. political leaders to make
reducing hunger in the United States and worldwide a greater
funding priority.
Key Lutheran leaders at "Hunger No More: An Interfaith
Convocation" were the Rev. Mark S. Hanson, presiding bishop of
the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), Chicago, and
president of the Lutheran World Federation, Geneva, Switzerland,
and the Rev. David M. Beckmann, ELCA pastor and president of
Bread for the World, a Christian citizens' movement against
hunger.
Some 1,500 worshippers were at the convocation. Among other
things, they prayed that President Bush and members of the U.S.
Congress would preserve and enhance funding for programs that
reduce poverty and hunger.
The convocation was the culmination of a 4-day conference of
600 people leading anti-poverty and anti-hunger programs. On
June 7 -- National Hunger Awareness Day -- many went to Capitol
Hill here to lobby members of Congress to support specific anti-
hunger legislation.
Most of the 40 religious leaders signed a letter delivered
to Bush, asking the president to provide "stronger" leadership to
prevent cuts in nutrition programs and to work with other world
leaders to increase development assistance, debt relief and
develop international trade policies that reduce poverty and
hunger.
At the convocation Hanson called on the participants to work
to end poverty and hunger, and to make known their commitments to
President Bush and to the Congress. Commitment cards were handed
out to the participants, asking each what they were willing to do
to alleviate hunger and poverty.
At a news briefing before the convocation here at The
American University, Hanson said a gathering of such a broad
spectrum of religious leaders for a common purpose was "an
historic moment."
"The United States must exert leadership in contributing
major resources to the reduction of poverty in Africa," Hanson
said.
Hanson said he is "delighted" at the level of financial
gifts by Lutherans to the ELCA World Hunger Appeal, the Stand
With Africa campaign and to Bread for the World, an organization
that the ELCA supports.
"In the ELCA we are so mindful of our differences," he said,
"and yet in the midst of that, isn't it wonderful that we can
find commonality not only in our compassion for those who are
hungry but in our commitment and resolve to be part of the
solution?"
The convocation's keynote speaker was the Most Rev.
Njongonkulu W. H. Ndungane, Anglican archbishop of Cape Town,
South Africa. "The promise of heaven is no more hunger," he said
in his remarks. "But the message of all our readings is that the
plight of the hungry must not be left for heaven. It is to be
our concern as God's instruments."
Politicians must be reminded that public opinion "demands
justice in relation to poverty and hunger," Ndungane said. "This
year, everywhere politicians turn, they will find poverty and
hunger on the agenda. They cannot escape."
"Americans [want] something to unite us," Beckmann said
after the convocation. "Leadership for reducing poverty has to
come from the 'guts' of America. It has to come from the
heart[s] of our own people. If they (religious leaders and local
activists) go home and provide leadership in their churches, in
their synagogues, in their mosques, so that the whole faith
community of America insists on progress against poverty and
hunger, we can move the nation and the world."
Bread for the World is working on specific legislation in
Congress, Beckmann said. One piece is the Hunger-Free
Communities Act (S. 1120, H.R. 2717), aimed at protecting funding
for nutrition programs such as the federal Food Stamp Program.
The organization also wants members of Congress to cosponsor the
Millennium Development Goals Resolution (H. Con. Res. 172), which
urges Bush to use the G-8 and U.N. summits to increase
development assistance and debt relief, and to create trade
policies that reduce hunger, poverty and disease.
Convocation sponsors were the Alliance to End Hunger,
America's Second Harvest: the Nation's Food Bank Network, Call to
Renewal, the Episcopal Church, the National Cathedral, Bread for
the World and anti-hunger coordinators representing several
religious groups including the ELCA.
---
Information about "Hunger No More: An Interfaith
Convocation" is at http://www.bread.org on the Web.

For information contact:
http://www.elca.org/news