From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] Musoke-Lubega leaving Africa office for Trinity Church-St.

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Mon, 13 Jun 2005 20:05:07 -0400

Daybook, from Episcopal News Service

June 13, 2005 - Monday Mission

Musoke-Lubega leaving Africa office for Trinity Church-St. Paul's Chapel

[Episcopal News Service] The Rev. Canon Benjamin Musoke-Lubega,
partnership
officer for Africa at the Episcopal Church Center, has resigned to take
the
position of program associate for grant making activities in the Global
South and telecommunications in the Trinity Grants Program of Trinity
Church-St. Paul's Chapel. He will assume his new duties in mid-June.

"This position is a natural progression for me," Musoke-Lubega said.
"I'm
excited because it continues the relationships I have with Africa."

The partnership officer for Africa at the Church Center was a position
restored by Presiding Bishop Frank Griswold in early 2002. Since then,
Canon
Musoke-Lubega has traveled thousands of miles, visiting all of the 12
Anglican provinces as well as many ecumenical partners in Africa.

"This time is crucial in the life of our Church," said the Reverend
Canon
James G. Callaway Jr., Trinity-St. Paul's deputy for Faith Formation and
Development. "Benjamin brings a deep understanding of relationships
across
the Anglican Communion."

Musoke-Lubega has devoted particular attention to the Episcopal Church
in
Liberia; helping to strengthen it as the country continues to recover
from
15 years of civil war.

"Personally, it has been gratifying working to build the relationships
with
the Episcopal Church and Africa," Musoke-Lubega said.

The Rev. Dr. James B. Lemler, director of mission, said Musoke-Lubega
served
in his position as a leader.

"He built companionship and collaboration contributing to understanding,
vision, and action," Lemler said. "He will remain an important colleague
and
partner in our work of global mission."

Musoke-Lubega succeeds the Rev. Canon Ogé Beauvoir, who left Trinity
Church
in order to answer the Bishop of Haiti's call to become dean of the
seminary
and lay training program there.

Margaret S. Larom, director of Anglican and Global Relations (AGR) for
the
Episcopal Church, said, "Benjamin is a friend of more than 20 years'
standing, and I respect his abilities a great deal. His knowledge of
Africa
and its leaders, his love for the Episcopal Church, and his commitment
ecumenical service have made him a valued partner here at the Episcopal
Church Center. We are sorry to lose him, but look forward to working
with
him in his new capacity at Trinity Wall Street. Our office has long
enjoyed
a collegial relationship with the Trinity Grants Program, and we hope
and
expect that that will continue."

Musoke-Lubega has served on the boards of Church World Service and the
Washington Office on Africa, as well as the Africa Forum of CWS. He was
the
convener of the Episcopal Church's Africa Staff Team, which consisted of
colleagues whose work related to Africa, and took a lead role in
welcoming
church leaders from Africa to the Episcopal Church Center, the General
Convention and other such gatherings.

"Joining the staff at a fraught time in our relations with several
African
churches, Canon Musoke-Lubega established ties with leaders and ordinary
Anglicans throughout the continent that will stand the test of time and
circumstance," said Patrick Mauney, former director of AGR. "Trinity
Parish
is a valued companion in mission, so Benjamin's deep knowledge of Africa
and
his diplomatic skills will continue to benefit all of us."

Musoke-Lubega has also worked with Episcopal colleagues to plan two
major
events in July - the Francophone Anglican Conference in Montreal,
followed
by the International Conference on Afro-Anglicanism in Toronto. In
addition,
prior to the Black Clergy Conference in October, he has planned the
first-ever gathering of African-born clergy serving the Episcopal
Church.

Before joining the Episcopal Church Center, he was rector of St.
Matthew's
and St. Joseph's Church in Detroit for five years, and served the Church
of
Holy Spirit in the Diocese of Southern Ohio for 10 years.