From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ABCUSA: Leaders Work Toward 'Christian Churches Together' Launch

From "SCHRAMM, Richard" <Rich.Schramm@abc-usa.org>
Date Tue, 14 Jun 2005 12:29:32 -0400

American Baptist News Service (Valley Forge, Pa. 6/10/05)--Reaffirming
their commitment to "grow closer together in Christ in order to
strengthen our Christian witness in the world," 67 Christian leaders met
June 1-3 to worship, pray, dialog and continue foundational planning for
formally launching the unprecedented ecumenical body Christian Churches
Together in the USA.

The Rev. Rothangliani Chhangte, director of Ecumenical Formation for
American Baptist Churches USA, joined with colleagues from the
Evangelical/Pentecostal, Historic Protestant, Historic Racial/Ethnic,
Orthodox and Catholic traditions at the Jesuit Conference Center in Los
Altos, Calif. The gathering brought together a wider, more diverse
circle of Christian church leaders than at any of the previous four
meetings. Chhangthe, who is a member of the Interim Steering Committee,
also represented General Secretary the Rev. Dr. A. Roy Medley, who was
unable to attend.

American Baptist Churches USA and 30 other churches and national
Christian organizations already have formally decided to join Christian
Churches Together. Twenty additional church leaders attended as
observers from denominations that are actively considering joining. At
the meeting relationships with the historic Black churches were deepened
through intensive dialog and sharing. Participants also received a
report about the Global Christian Forum, an initiative to bring together
the wide diversity of Christian traditions into fellowship and
cooperation.

"While there were uplifting times of fellowship and worship, there were
also times when we dialoged on difficult issues that have divided
Christians, such as racism or the different traditions of expression in
worship," Chhangte said. "I came away from the meeting feeling that
God's Spirit was moving among us in a new way, weaving and knitting us
closer together. My prayer is that we would continue to be open to
God's Spirit at work in our lives so that we can all welcome each other
as Christ has welcomed and accepted us for the glory of God."

Participants agreed that their next meeting would continue common
activities of prayer, biblical reflection, worship and relationship
building as well as focus on the issue of poverty in the U.S. The Rev.
Wesley Granberg-Michaelson, of the Reformed Church in America, was
unanimously reelected as moderator to lead an expanded Steering
Committee.

A formal launch for Christian Churches Together in the USA, originally
planned for this fall, will be delayed "in order to continue the
productive and positive conversation" with churches and organizations
considering joining.

K/2005ABNS/05ABN54

American Baptist News Service: Office of Communication, American Baptist
Churches USA, P.O. Box 851, Valley Forge, PA 19482-0851; (800)ABC-3USA
x2077 / (610)768-2077; fax: (610)768-2320; www.abc-usa.org;
richard.schramm@abc-usa.org