From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[CRC NEWS] Bremer named Executive Director of CRCNA

From "Henry Hess" <hessh@crcna.ca>
Date Wed, 15 Jun 2005 10:59:34 -0400

June 15, 2005 Palos Heights, Ill. - Synod 2005 voted unanimously last
night to appoint Rev. Calvin Bremer as the executive director of the
Christian Reformed Church in North America. The appointment is
effective Aug. 1, 2005.

Bremer has been a pastor in the CRC since 1972, and has spent the past
nine years at the Back to God Hour, the CRC's electronic media ministry.

He told delegates that the most critical issue facing the Christian
Reformed Church today is the consumer mentality. People will leave if a
church doesn't meet their expectations, he said. "We can't keep doing
church the way we've done it for the past 20 years or we will die."

He said his vision for the CRC is of a church that knows its identity.
"God has given us things we must offer. We must articulate and lead from
the vantage point of those who know what it is to claim every square
inch for the Lord Jesus Christ."

Bremer told delegates that in this age of churches becoming more
congregationalist and people becoming more individualistic, leaders must
lead by influencing and modeling. "Part of the job of leaders is hold up
the mirror and say 'This is where we are,'" he said, "and part of it is
saying, 'This is where we can go together.'"

Bremer told delegates that the CRC has a wonderful legacy of rigorous
academic scholarship that is the envy of the evangelical community. "And
now we are learning to express our hearts," he said, "saying without
reservation 'I love Jesus Christ and nothing will ever separate me from
his life.'"

The position of executive director is a new position in the CRC,
combining some of the duties of the general secretary and the executive
director of ministries. Those positions are being phased out. The
executive director will be assisted by a director of denominational
ministries.

Synod also ratified the appointment of Dr. Darwin Glassford as associate
professor of church education at Calvin Theological Seminary.

Glassford comes to Calvin seminary from Montreat College where he taught
Bible and Christian Education since 1989. Before that he served a number
of educational and youth-related ministries in churches and other
institutions.

Glassford is an ordained teaching elder in the Presbyterian Church in
America. In order to take up his duties at Calvin seminary he will need
to be ordained as a minister of the Word in the Christian Reformed
Church.

Coming up:
This morning synod is meeting fraternal delegates who are bringing
greetings from denominations that are in fellowship with the CRC.
Delegates also will discuss interdenominational matters and a report on
restorative justice. This evening, synod will discuss the report of the
study committee on women in office.

Contact Henry Hess, Synod News Officer, at 708-293-2108.