From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ACNS] Archbishop of York Announced

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Fri, 17 Jun 2005 06:30:52 -0700

ACNS 3990 | ENGLAND | 17 JUNE 2005

Archbishop of York Announced

Photo for this article is available here:
http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acns/articles/39/75/acns3990.cfm

Downing Street has this morning announced the approval of The Queen for
the appointment of the Rt Revd Dr John Sentamu, currently Bishop of
Birmingham, to succeed the Rt Revd Dr David Hope as the next Archbishop
of York.

Bishop Sentamu, who is 56, was born in Uganda. He was educated in
Uganda, graduating in Law from Makerere University, Kampala and is an
Advocate of the High Court of Uganda. He practised Law both at the Bar
and at the Bench before he came to the UK in 1974. He read theology at
Selwyn College Cambridge where he gained a Masters Degree and a
Doctorate. He trained for ordination at Ridley Hall, Cambridge, then
part of the Cambridge Federation of Theological Colleges. Following his
ordination in 1979 he served as Assistant Chaplain at Selwyn College,
Cambridge. From 1979-1982 he was Chaplain at HM Remand Centre Lachmere
House and Curate of St Andrew's, Ham in the Diocese of Southwark.

>From 1982-1983 he was Curate of St Paul, Herne Hill, and from 1983-1984
Priest-in-Charge at Holy Trinity, Tulse Hill and Parish Priest of St
Matthias Upper Tulse Hill. He then became Vicar of the joint benefice of
Holy Trinity and St Matthias from 1984-1986. Between 1987 and 1989 he
was also Priest-in-Charge of St Saviour Brixton Hill. He was appointed
Bishop of Stepney in 1996 and Bishop of Birmingham in 2002.

He said: "I am looking forward to working with the Archbishop of
Canterbury and other bishops to lead the Church of England in its
mission to the nation. It is imperative that the Church regains her
vision and confidence in mission, developing ways that will enable the
Church of England to reconnect imaginatively with England.

"It is important that the Church of England's voice is heard locally,
nationally and internationally, standing up for justice, bringing Good
News to the poor, healing to the broken-hearted, setting at liberty
those who are oppressed, and proclaiming the death of Christ and his
resurrection until he comes again. What an exciting prospect."

In a statement from Lambeth Palace, the Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr
Rowan Williams welcomed the news: "I am absolutely delighted to welcome
the appointment of Bishop John Sentamu as Archbishop of York. He is
someone who has always combined a passion for sharing the gospel with a
keen sense of the problems and challenges of our society, particularly
where racism is concerned. His ministry in London and Birmingham has
been praised by Christians of all backgrounds. He is a caring pastor and
an exciting communicator. I look forward with great enthusiasm to
working with him."

Welcoming the appointment on behalf of the Diocese of York, the Bishop
of Hull, the Rt Revd Richard Frith, said: "This is an exciting moment
for the Diocese of York. The Bishop of Birmingham is known as a man of
energy and passion for the Gospel of Jesus Christ - a thinker,
campaigner and teacher - but above all a man of prayer and someone who
lights up the Word of God for the world around him.

"Bishop John is known in Birmingham and London for plain speaking, and
that will go down very well in the Diocese of York.

"His wide experience of life and the Church from Africa to Birmingham
has shown him to be adaptable and versatile, and ready to engage with
people of all backgrounds and ways of life. He challenges boundaries and
fixed ideas about the world, the Church and the Christian Gospel - and
he's great fun too.

"The whole Diocese will want to pray for Bishop John and for Margaret as
they prepare to move here, and to give thanks for a leader who will
clearly express the Christian good news in a hectic and changing world."

Bishop Sentamu is married to Margaret, a Senior Selection Secretary in
the Ministry Division of the Archbishops' Council, and they have two
grown-up children, Grace and Geoffrey. Bishop Sentamu's interests
include music, cooking, reading, athletics, rugby and football.

>From 1997 to 1999, Bishop Sentamu was Adviser to the Stephen Lawrence
Judicial Inquiry and he chaired the Damilola Taylor Review, 2002. He has
been the chairman of the NHS Haemoglobinopathy Screening Programme since
2001.Between 2002 and 2004 he was Chairman of the EC1 New Deal. He
became President of Youth for Christ in 2004 and President of the YMCA
in April 2005.

Further biographical information

Bishop Sentamu was on the General Synod from 1985 to 1996. He was also a
member of the Archbishop's Advisory Group on Urban Priority Areas from
1987, and of the Revision Committee for the Ordination of Women to the
Priesthood. He served on the Decade of Evangelism Steering Group and for
five years was a member of the Executive of the Archbishops' initiative
on Evangelism (Springboard). He was Prolocutor of the Convocation of
Canterbury from 1990 to 1994 and Chairman of the General Synod's
Committee for Minority Ethnic Anglican Concerns between 1990 and 1999.
He is a member of the Commission on Urban Life and Faith.