From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] Donations with strings attached leave mission hospital

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ECUNET.ORG>
Date Tue, 21 Jun 2005 17:10:36 -0500

Note #8778 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

05329
June 21, 2005

Dubious designation

Donations with strings attached leave mission hospital in money tangle

by Toya Richards Hill

BLANTYRE, MALAWI -- It's one thing for a well-intentioned Presbyterian
congregation in the United States to send money to Malawi to add a new wing
to an overcrowded rural hospital.

For such a congregation to give its money with no strings attached --
"undesignated" -- is something else entirely.

The hospital might use that "undesignated" money to repair or improve
existing space, or to pay the phone bill, or to buy such essentials as clean
mattresses and sheets.

Undesignated money is particularly helpful because recipients can use
it to address their most urgent needs, Presbyterian mission workers in Malawi
say.

Most donor money is earmarked for specific purposes, according to Dr.
Roland van de Ven, the medical director at Mulanje Mission Hospital, a
facility under the auspices of the Church of Central Africa Presbyterian
(CCAP), a partner of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).

Donors tend not to think about mundane expenses like utility bills,
paint, building maintenance and patient transportation, said van de Ven, a
Dutch physician under contract to the Interchurch Organization for
Development Cooperation (ICCO).

"People want to build things and make something new," said Dr. Sue
Makin, an obstetrician-gynecologist working at Mulanje Mission Hospital as a
PC(USA) mission worker.

"We don't always need something new," Makin said. "We just need to
maintain what we have. ...

"We need new screens ... or we need new gutters. That's not always
exciting."

Van de Ven's message to Presbyterians who want to help: "Please,
don't earmark your money."

Van de Ven's plea is personal -- 47 percent of the money he depends
on to keep a huge (18-building) hospital complex in operation comes from
donations.

But the need for undesignated money is widespread throughout the
CCAP.

Donor money is usually earmarked for "programming and projects," said
the Rev. Dan Merry, an executive of the Pittsburgh Presbytery who has been on
loan to the CCAP's Blantyre Synod for the past year.

Money for what Merry calls "the sexy things."

What is often desperately needed is decidedly un-sexy: Gasoline to
keep an essential vehicle running, for example. Gas can cost the equivalent
of $5 (U.S.) per gallon, Merry said, and it's hard to find money to pay for
it -- because "the donors do not let the synod take any money for that."

Merry, who serves the Pittsburgh Presbytery as associate pastor for
medium-sized churches, has been in Malawi with his family since August 2004.
His work there, which has included a stint as acting general secretary of the
Blantyre Synod, ends in July.

"There's very little money that comes from partner churches for
operations," said Merry, who said he has devoted a great deal of his time to
helping the synod cut costs. "It's still a challenge every month to make
payroll," he said, and "when you don't make payroll, people don't eat."

Merry said Pittsburgh Presbytery donates about $200,000 a year to the
Blantyre Synod, and one of his goals after he comes home will be to see that
more of that money is undesignated. He thinks it would be good to set aside
maybe 10 or 15 percent of donations for "undesignated use."

That would please van de Ven, who has struggled in recent months to
scrape up enough money to buy clean mattresses for patients' beds. In ward
after ward, patients must lie on soiled and worn foam mattresses.

Van de Ven also struggles with the hospital's laundry service. Dirty
linen is hand-washed by employees often working without protective gloves and
gum boots -- a serious risk in a part of the world where common infections
can be deadly.

And he has lots of staffing issues -- not enough nurses; inadequately
trained x-ray technicians; dental equipment sitting idle because he has no
one able to use it.

His to-do list, it seems, goes on and on.

"We have plans" to make things better, said van de Ven, who also has
worked as a missionary in Zambia -- "but we are dependent on donors."

To make things better, he said, "I've got to have that money in a
different way."