From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] Canadian Anglicans speak to same-gender blessings

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Wed, 22 Jun 2005 08:06:05 -0400

Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Canadian Anglicans speak to same-gender blessings

Presentation offered at invitation of ACC

By Neva Rae Fox

ENS 062205-2

[ENS, Nottingham, June 21, 2005] -- The blessing of same-gender unions
in
the Anglican Church of Canada was the focus of its June 21 presentation
the Anglican Consultative Council (ACC).

"We're here to let you know we value our place in the Anglican
Communion,"
said Bishop Suffragan Sue Moxley of Nova Scotia and Prince Edward
Island.
"The decision was made to come to ACC. We agreed to make this
presentation
... We wanted to be here."

The Church of Canada's elected members of the ACC are attending this
meeting
as observers as voted by its Council of General Synod in response to the
request of the international Anglican Primates' Meeting.

In 2002, the Diocese of New Westminster authorized the blessings of
same-gender unions. This action prompted the Anglican Primates' Meeting
invite the Canadians to provide a presentation at ACC-13 as recommended
by
the Windsor Report.

The Canadians' presentation followed a similar session offered by U.S.
Episcopalians explaining the reasoning around the ordination of a bishop
living in a committed same-gender union. Like the Canadians, the
Episcopal
Church's elected ACC members are attending as observers.

Addressing an audience of ACC members, guests, visitors and media, the
Canadian presentation team was introduced by Moxley. Presenters were the
Rev. Dr. Stephen Andrews, president and vice chancellor Thornloe
University,
member of General Synod and the Primates Theological Commission; the
Very
Rev. Peter Elliott, dean of Christ Church Cathedral, Vancouver; Maria
Jane
Highway, Indigenous Partner to General Synod and member of the Faith
Worship
and Ministry Committee of General Synod; Archbishop Andrew S. Hutchison,
Primate of the Anglican Church of Canada; and Canon Robert Palby,
chancellor
and lay canon in the diocese of Toronto and member of General Synod.

"We're here listening," Moxley said. "We're learning, and outside the
meeting floor, we're talking to people individually to hear what you
have to
say to us."

Andrews provided a biblical and theological groundwork for the actions
of
the Anglican Church in Canada. He noted, "This issue should not be
church
dividing."

He also offered a personal glimpse to his feelings about the process. "I
regret my passivity," he shared. "It is my hope that in spite of my
sinfulness what I have to say will help to reform and unite our
communion."

Highway opened her portion with prayer in her native tongue. "I'm not a
person with very high language," she explained. "I'm just a person who
speaks her own way."

She recalled when she started to think about people living in
same-gender
relationships, "and there are quite a few. I have to look at this in
order
to accept people as they are."

She also addressed the diversity of the Canadian people. "Being an
aboriginal person, being part of this presentation, is what makes Canada
so
unique," she said.

Highway placed the issue of same-gender blessings into the perspective
of
her people. "Alcohol, drugs, suicide are very important," she added.
"These
issues are more important to our elders than what is being talked about
right now."

Falby provided the legal background in terms of same-sex marriage in
Canada.
"Same-sex marriages are part of Canadian society and form part of the
context of what the Anglican Church of Canada administers," he
explained.
"The Church is not bound by, but is influenced by, public debate."

"I am a man, who is gay," Elliot stated, "and I am not the first gay man
be present at a meeting of the ACC and I won't be the last. The
difference
is that because of the courage of our church, I can be honest with you
about
who I am."

Elliott presented a portrait of the diocese of New Westminster: one of
30 in
Anglican Church of Canada with 85 churches; 175 years old; 145,000
Anglicans
in the region; Vancouver is the major city.

"Since 2003 in our diocese there have been 14 liturgies of the
celebrating
of commitments of lesbian and gay people," Elliot said.

Hutchison affirmed the commitment of the Anglican Church in Canada. "I
hope
what does come shining through is a profound Canadian commitment to the
Communion and to its instruments and to its partnerships around the
globe."

He added: "The bishops in Canada unanimously received the Windsor Report
with thanksgiving and recognized its importance and committed it to the
life
of the church."

The Canadians presented a packet to ACC members consisting of materials
supporting the information in their presentation, including the 36-page
"Report of the Primate's Theological Commission on the Blessing of
Same-Sex
Unions." For these materials and other information, www.anglican.ca.

-- Neva Rae Fox is a member of the Episcopal News Service team for
ACC-13.
She is director of communications for the Diocese of New York.