From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

NCC Applauds Senate Climate Resolution; Calls for Swift Action

From "NCC news" <pjenks@ncccusa.org>
Date Thu, 23 Jun 2005 17:04:19 -0400

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT: Leslie Tune, 202/544-2350, ext. 11

NCC APPLAUDS SENATE RESOLUTION ON GREENHOUSE GAS EMISSIONS; CALLS FOR SWIFT
ACTION

Washington, D.C., June 23, 2005--The National Council of Churches USA, an
ecumenical body compromised of 36 member denominations representing close to
45 million congregants, applauds the "sense of the Senate" resolution
yesterday calling for passage of mandatory reductions in greenhouse gas
emissions. However, we are gravely disappointed that the Senate did not pass
binding legislation that would require mandatory steps to stop climate
change. We urge the Senate to move swiftly on this call and enact climate
legislation that produces real and significant reductions in greenhouse
emissions. Because the U.S. is the largest emitter of greenhouse gases it
would be unjust and immoral to ignore the clear and present danger of global
warming. As people of faith we have a biblical responsibility to be stewards
of God's creation--a responsibility that requires us to model just and
sustainable energy values. Our call, as people of faith, is to defend all of
God's creation. We, therefore, further urge the U.S. Congress to enact
legislation that reduces our dependence on fossil fuels and mandates real and
significant reductions in greenhouse gas emissions so that we can re-order
the energy priorities of our country to reflect our shared values of justice
and sustainability.

###