From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

NCC Applauds High Court Ruling on 10 Commandments

From "NCC News" <pjenks@ncccusa.org>
Date Wed, 29 Jun 2005 09:34:15 -0400

NCC applauds high court ruling on display of the Ten Commandments

Washington, June 29, 2005 -- The U.S. Supreme Court's decision on the public
display of the Ten Commandments upholds the Constitutional separation of
church and state, the NCC said.

The high court ruled Monday that the commandments may be displayed in state
capitols but not in courthouses. "This decision reflects our belief that the
Ten Commandments have played a significant role in history and in shaping the
laws and policies that govern us today, but should not be displayed in a way
that promotes one religion over others," the Council statement said.

The full test of the statement follows:

We applaud the U.S. Supreme Court decision to uphold the separation of church
and state and their ruling that while it is inappropriate for the Ten
Commandments to be displayed in courthouses, it is completely appropriate for
them to be displayed in state capitols. This decision reflects our belief
that the Ten Commandments have played a significant role in history and in
shaping the laws and policies that govern us today and therefore should be
allowed to be displayed as a historical document but should not be displayed
in a way that promotes one religion over others.

We live in a religiously pluralistic society and whereas we hope the Ten
Commandments are firmly displayed in the hearts of all Christians, we believe
strongly that we should not impose our religious beliefs on others. Although
we believe in the separation of church and state, we do not believe that
people of faith should be separated from involvement in institutions of
government. That is why we are much more interested in people living out
their faith by helping the poor, promoting peace and protecting the
environment, than whether or not the Ten Commandments are displayed in
courthouses or in other locations that violate the very delicate balance we
must keep in order to maintain the separation of church and state.

Contact: Leslie Tune, NCC News, 202-544-2350, or Philip E. Jenks,
212-870-2252.