From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ABCUSA: World Relief Committee Hears Tsunami Relief Update=20

From "CHANDLER, David" <David.Chandler@abc-usa.org>
Date Wed, 29 Jun 2005 23:26:16 -0400

American Baptist News Service (Denver, Colo. 6/28/05)--In semiannual
session here yesterday the American Baptist Churches' World Relief
Committee voted to fund a number of new and ongoing projects and
programs and heard reports on One Great Hour of Sharing offering (OGHS)
giving and tsunami relief efforts.

The committee establishes policy for distribution of funds from OGHS.
Projects presented were undertaken by American Baptist International
Ministries and American Baptist National Ministries.

Projects funded for mission in the U.S. are: a hot lunch program of
Cameron Community Ministries, Rochester, N.Y. ($36,000 over three
years); the Just and Effective Economic Development Project, Toledo,
Ohio ($12,500); the National Coalition for Burned Churches and Community
Empowerment, Charleston, S.C. ($15,000); the Sturgis Bike Rally, for
which the First Baptist Church of the Northern Hills, Deadwood, S.D.
provides supportive ministries and outreach ($10,000); St. Paul
Community and Economic Development Corporation, St. Albans, W.V.
($15,000 over three years); and the Summer Safety Net Program of Third
Avenue Baptist Church, Flint, Mich. ($8,000 over two years).

Overseas projects funded today include: the Chilean Mission Baptist
Church of Traiguen Feeding Program ($17,000 over three years); the
multi-ministry Beteli Center, Republic of Georgia ($24,000 over three
years); Satribari Christian Hospital, Guwahati, India ($16,775); a
textile-craft micro enterprise to aid community development in Sitala,
Mexico ($19,000 over three years); Kalulushi Training Center, supported
by the Baptist Convention of Zambia ($15,000).

In her report to the committee, World Relief Officer Lisa Rothenberger
noted that American Baptists gave $2,418,015 to OGHS in 2004. "This
represents an increase a 7% when compared to the 2003 offering, but the
increase was fueled by December 2004 giving to tsunami relief," she
said.

Tsunami relief giving has dramatically impacted year-to-date 2005 OGHS
receipts, she noted. For the first five months of this year, OGHS giving
was $2,564,745. Of that, $2,140,387 has been designated for tsunami
relief, bringing total tsunami relief giving to $2,388,895 for December
2004 through May 2005-by far the single largest response by American
Baptists to a disaster. Undesignated gifts (those available to support
World Relief Committee approved projects) are up significantly.
Year-to-date undesignated gifts total $342,800 vs. $178,781 for the same
period the year prior.

Rothenberger also reported on a tour of tsunami-devastated areas in
Indonesia that she and Ken George, National Ministries' coordinator for
Direct Human Services, participated in with Church World Service in
April.

"My first day in Banda Aceh we headed up the coast of the Indian Ocean,
the area that sustained the first and some of the most dramatic loss of
life and property. Mile after mile the view was the same. What used to
be villages were now mere piles of rubble. Coconut trees that once
stood majestic were snapped in two. Where does one begin to capture
this story?...

"Untold horrors have befallen these people. You can see it in their
eyes; sense it in the way they walk. Yet, there is also a magnificent
hope-a hope that seems to defy reasoning a visitor can understand.
Relief aid can almost never come quick enough when so much has been
lost, but slowly and surely the situation on the ground improves. Wells
are being dug, houses are being rebuilt, boats are being repaired or new
ones are provided. The needs are still plentiful, but the laborers toil
day in and day out doing their best to address the myriad issues.

"After returning to the U.S. and reflecting on this experience, I wrote
to one of the women that we met. Ejodia Kakunsi is a program officer
for CWS in Banda Aceh. I asked her how she copes, what scripture keeps
her going? And she replied, 'Philippians 4:13 is my favorite verse.
It's very powerful words that always strengthen me even since I was sick
as a child. I read it yesterday and feel the powerful Spirit
strengthening me again.'"

American Baptist News Service: Office of Communication, American Baptist
Churches USA, P.O. Box 851, Valley Forge, PA 19482-0851; (800)ABC-3USA
x2077 / (610)768-2077; fax: (610)768-2320; www.abc-usa.org;
richard.schramm@abc-usa.org

05ABN62