From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ABCUSA: BNM Votes to Recommend Statement on Children in Poverty

From "CHANDLER, David" <David.Chandler@abc-usa.org>
Date Wed, 29 Jun 2005 23:57:53 -0400

American Baptist News Service (Denver, Colo. 6/29/05)--At its semiannual
meeting here the Board of National Ministries, American Baptist Churches
USA, voted unanimously to recommend to the General Board a declaration
on children in poverty as an issue of importance.

The declaration calls upon American Baptist churches and mission
partners "to make the issue of children in poverty a priority of prayer
advocacy, ministry and stewardship." The declaration states, "American
Baptists believe that God has called us to minister in love to children.
We have shown that love in our mission through the decades."

When he introduced this issue to the General Board, National Ministries'
Executive Director Dr. Aidsand F. Wright-Riggins III cited 2003 U.S.
Census Bureau statistics indicating more than one in six American
children - 12.9 million - were poor by U.S. government standards. He
said Jesus' statement that "you will always have the poor among you"
(Matthew 26:11) means that people will "always find Christians near
enough to the poor to reach out with caring ministries."

In the midst of denominational stresses, Wright-Riggins said that
National Ministries needs to remain faithful to its calling. "We need to
watch, fight and pray," he said, alluding to the passage in the book of
Nehemiah 4:7-14. He reflected that while we seem able to do two of these
at one time, doing all three requires supernatural power. "God is
calling American Baptists to recognize our need for God's power," he
added.

In other business, Wright-Riggins reported on progress toward achieving
the three goals that will move National Ministries forward as a
mission-focused and measurement-managed organization.

Toward reaching the first goal of increasing the capacity of leaders to
excel in implementing transformative ministries, National Ministries has
established project teams that are making plans for 42 new ministry
initiatives.

A core message, "Transforming Leadership," has been incorporated into
the National Ministries' logo to build recognition among American
Baptists for National Ministries' unique role in advocacy, resourcing
and networking, the second goal. This simple, single message conveys the
commitment to stay focused on the organization's strategic mission
purpose.

The declaration of an issue of importance, children in poverty, is the
first step toward achieving the third goal of identifying an important
social issue. National Ministries seeks to engage American Baptists in
making a real difference for children in poverty through advocacy and
hands-on involvement. A survey taken at the board meeting and throughout
the Biennial will determine affirmation and engagement, with the aim of
discovering how National Ministries can support churches as they develop
ministry strategies.

During the meeting's Home Mission Highlight, Scott Records, pastor of
First Baptist Church, Bar Harbor, Me., described his experience with
"Got Style?," National Ministries' evangelism training for pastors and
congregations. Records expressed gratitude for the training materials'
"huge range of evangelistic resources."

"Got Style?" materials focus on natural and relational evangelism that
helps people understand how their own abilities and gifts can enable
them to lead people to the Lord. Records sees the potential for clear,
direct outreach into communities as a result of the training. He said,
"When I do this training in a church, the beauty of it is that I can
offer a church something suitable to its style."

American Baptist News Service: Office of Communication, American Baptist
Churches USA, P.O. Box 851, Valley Forge, PA 19482-0851; (800)ABC-3USA
x2077 / (610)768-2077; fax: (610)768-2320; www.abc-usa.org;
richard.schramm@abc-usa.org

05ABN67