From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Africa Inter-Denominational Statement on methanol (Makutano

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Thu, 30 Jun 2005 15:48:37 -0700

CATHOLIC INFORMATION SERVICE FOR AFRICA (CISA)

cisa@wananchi.com

Issue No. 441 f, Thursday, June 30, 2005

INTER-DENOMINATIONAL PRESS STATEMENT
Issued at Catholic Bishop's Office Machakos

June 30, 2005

We would like to say "Pole" (send our condolences) to our people, especially the bereaved families of Chumvi, Kyemutheke, Katheka Kai, Lukenya, Kathome and Masii [villages of Machakos] and other parts of Kenya, after their dear ones took the poisoned brew with high concentration of methanol (Makutano Tragedy).

The illicit brew has taken away some of our energetic young men and women and left many orphans, widows, widowers and parents mourning.

We join the voices of those who of late have condemned the provision of such brews.

Despite the grief, we would like to still affirm that our help is in the name of the Lord.

Thank You to Our Government

We would like to thank the Government through the Ministry of Health for promising to meet the burial expenses. It is our appeal that the government, the Church and any other well wishers, to extend support to the affected families, such support can be channeled through the churches, Mosques or DC's office.

Call to the Government and Those Concerned With Our Security

We continue to call upon the health officers not only in Machakos, but all over the country, the police, the Provincial Administrators, the Courts (in short all the arms of government) to take all the necessary measures, that those selling such drinks are brought to book. These are the people concerned with the security of our people; it is unfortunate that sometimes we compromise life with money. It is pathetic that those selling such drinks are known by even our people, yet few are courageous enough to bring the culprits forward.

Invitation for Interdenominational Prayer at Machakos -Kenyatta Stadium

Our Christian values call us to mourn with those who mourn; thus we invite our fellow Kenyans, the faithful, the sympathizers and well wishers to support the families who have been affected by this disaster. Let us be our brothers' and sisters' keepers (Genesis 4:9); let us be Good Samaritans to these families (cf Luke 10:30-35).

In this connection we are inviting all our faithful from different denominations and our sympathizers, to join us on Saturday July 2, 2005, at Machakos -Kenyatta Stadium- at 9:00 am to pray, mourn and console those who have lost their loved ones, those who have lost their sight and those still suffering at home and in the hospitals after this national disaster. The bodies will be brought to the stadium on that day.

Rt Rev Martin Kivuva, Bishop, Catholic Diocese of Machakos
Rt Rev Joseph M Kanuku, Anglican Church of Kenya (ACK) Machakos Diocese
Bishop Mutua, Bishop, Redeemed Gospel Church
Bishop Ngala, African Brotherhood Church (ABC)
(Chairman) Africa Inland Church -AIC
And other leaders from Pentecostal Churches

Contacts: Catholic Bishop's Office, Machakos, bishopsomks@wananchi.com, Tel +254-44-20484, Tel/ Fax +254-44-21308, P O Box 344, Machakos 90100, Kenya.

top

CATHOLIC INFORMATION SERVICE FOR AFRICA (CISA)
Spreading news of the Catholic Church from Africa, to Africa and for Africa through E-Mail
Do you have news, a report, statement, speech, document, press release or a new address?
For all these and also for subscription and any other information, please contact us at:
cisa@wananchi.com, or http://www.cisanews.org/
Tel +254-20-4445057 (Direct Line), +254-20-4442011 Ext 244; Fax +254-20-4449756, P O Box 14861, Nairobi, Westlands 00800, KENYA
News published by CISA can be freely reproduced, so long as credit is given as appropriate.
This e-mail is checked and protected by F-Secure Anti Virus 5.41, which is updated automatically every day.