From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ABCUSA: General Board Addresses Children in Poverty

From "CHANDLER, David" <David.Chandler@abc-usa.org>
Date Fri, 1 Jul 2005 02:09:59 -0400

American Baptist News Service (Denver, Colo. 6/30/05)--In a unanimous
vote here last night the General Board of American Baptist Churches USA
voted to affirm "A Declaration of Importance for American Baptists on
the Issue of Children in Poverty."

Citing biblical injunctions to embrace ministries of compassion,
including the call of Jesus to serve Him by serving "the least of these
my brethren," the statement notes that more than a third of those living
in poverty in the U.S. are children.

The declaration, brought to the General Board by the Board of National
Ministries, in part maintains:

"American Baptists believe that God has called us to minister in love to
children. We have shown it in our mission through the decades. Today,
if we still believe that, then we must also speak urgently in advocacy
for children and their families. As we seek God's new direction for our
denomination, God has already sought us.

"We call upon the American Baptist Churches USA and its constituent
partners to make the issue of Children in Poverty a priority of prayer,
advocacy, ministry and stewardship. Let it occupy us in our
sanctuaries, our fellowship halls, our communities, and especially the
halls of power.

"To this end we commit ourselves to learn from one another in churches
and regional missions as well as from other organizations, such as the
Children's Defense Fund and the National Center for Children in Poverty.
We will learn about and celebrate current mission. We will seek
direction for new mission and how we may accomplish it...."

American Baptist News Service: Office of Communication, American Baptist
Churches USA, P.O. Box 851, Valley Forge, PA 19482-0851; (800)ABC-3USA
x2077 / (610)768-2077; fax: (610)768-2320; www.abc-usa.org;
richard.schramm@abc-usa.org

05ABN68