From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS - Anglicans flock to Church for Christmas

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Thu, 05 Jan 2006 21:41:01 -0800

ACNS 4090 | ACO | 5 JANUARY 2006

Anglicans flock to Church for Christmas

Churches from around the Anglican Communion reported record attendance
at their Christmas services. Carol Services and the traditional Midnight
Mass found churches with standing room only, with some places having to
turn people away for safety reasons. This was in contrast to news that
some mega-churches denominations were closing on Christmas.

The traditional all-night queue at Kings College Chapel of Our Lady and
St Nicholas, Cambridge, was again evident as hundreds tried to get into
the traditional Nine Lessons and Carols, which is broadcast world-over
each December 24th. This is likely the most widely broadcast Christian
worship service in the world.

The Revd Paul Lillie, writing from Jerusalem said, "People were very
faithful this year, as they have always been. The Jerusalem
Episcopalians braved checkpoints, rainy weather, and brisk winds in
order to greet the Holy Child of Bethlehem with their usual warmth and
generous spirit. Masses on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day were full
despite the difficult conditions here." Bus loads of Anglicans made
their way to Manger Square to sing Carols as well. To finish the season,
The new bishop co-adjutor will be consecrated on Epiphany in St George's
Cathedral.

In Times Square New York, the lively church of St Mary the Virgin was
packed at Midnight as the USA Primate offered the Eucharist. At St
Paul's Cathedral, London, people were turned away at the Christmas Eve
Carol service, presided over by the Bishop of London, as safety
regulations would not allow more inside, thus well over 3000 were in
attendance. At Midnight the cathedral was full again for the Eucharist.

Grace Episcopal Cathedral San Francisco reports 6000 people worshipped
at the 5 services over the weekend. Carol Barnwell, Diocese of Texas
spokesman said that all churches held services on Christmas Day and that
Christmas eve found "record crowds" in all the churches of the diocese.

Carols at Canterbury Cathedral, Mother church of the Communion, also
welcomed long queues and eager people on Christmas eve afternoon for the
service led by the Archbishop of Canterbury, the Dean and the choir of
men and boys. "It was packed," said one of the Minor Canons. Salisbury
Cathedral repeats their carol service and still finds the crowds at full
capacity.

Ian Ellis, editor of the Church of Ireland's Gazette told ACNS, "As
usual the midnight First Communion of Christmas was the best attended
Christmas service in my parish (Newcastle, Diocese of Dromore). I find
that many young people come to this service. It has a special appeal.
With Christmas Day falling on a Sunday, it's difficult to compare
numbers with last year, but there seemed to be more people out at church
this Christmas." At Christ Church Cathedral, Dublin, Archbishop John
Neill preached to a packed cathedral. There was also much media coverage
of the Archbishop's message as it dealt mainly with immigration.

>From Paris, Episcopal Bishop Pierre Whalon said, "I have received
reports of heavy turnouts for Christmas 2005 from the churches of the
Convocation of American Churches in Europe . Although many people in
Europe travel at Christmas, the American churches tend to have high
levels of visitors both from their local community as well as
travellers."

The bishop said, "Excellent musical programs, beautiful liturgies and
strong preaching are reasons that French visitors to the American
Cathedral gave to me for their attendance. Several said they come every
Christmas. Along similar lines, the Cathedral offers two Lessons &
Carols services every year, both to packed houses. These services have
become part of the Parisian cultural scene and are heavily attended by
French people."

"Our services were well attended in both urban and rural areas of the
Diocese," said Bishop David Beetge from Southern Africa, Diocese of the
Highveld. "The two I attended on Christmas Day were very well attended
with our Cathedral almost full and the morning service at one of our
biggest churches filled to capacity."

Bishop David Hamid, from the Diocese in Europe, said, "I just heard from
our priest in Pau this morning - Fr Alan Heslop, who said, "Christmas at
Pau was amazing" with Midnight Mass attendance being three times last
year, and Christmas Day five times."

Communications Officer Jim Naughton of the Diocese of Washington USA
said, "I went to Saint Columba's, our biggest parish, and the crowds at
4, 6 and 8 p.m. on Christmas Eve were so large that they had to set up a
television set in the common for the overflow."

In London, Holy Trinity Church, Sloane Square, experienced incredible
attendance figures throughout Advent. Associate priest Fr Nadim Nasaar
of the Trinity Institute for Christianity and Culture, said, "literally
hundreds filled Holy Trinity for St Nicholas Day, the main Carol service
and both Christmas eve and Christmas Day. It was wonderful." The
candlelight carol service at nearby St Paul's Knightsbridge also was
marked by record attendance at the midweek celebration on 21 December.

At All Saints in Friern Barnet in North London reader Cindy Kent said,
"We had a significant rise in numbers this year at both Midnight Mass
and Christmas morning. Also our Christingle on Christmas Eve played to a
packed house! People at Midnight Mass seemed more "sober" this year. I
was preaching - asking the question "where will you put Jesus this
Christmas" and got some very thoughtful comments afterwards."

Again, referring to news that some non-Anglican churches closed for
Christmas, the Vicar of Kensington told ACNS, "'Christmas Day, after
Easter and Good Friday, is the third most important day in the Christian
Year. Not to offer public worship would be unthinkable. At St Mary
Abbots our worship attracts young and old; regular worshippers and
visitors from around the world; the wealthy and the destitute; those for
whom it is central to their family Christmas and those who, having no
other family, would be alone were it not for the church. It our great
privilege to offer this ministry to all."

Housebound persons and "seekers" could find religious programmes on
television and radio. In the realm of the internet, Trinity Church, Wall
Street, new York, a pioneer institution in the genre of
telecommunications, shared statistics with us. On Christmas Eve for the
late evening Solemn Eucharist some 2800 people took advantage of the
webcast on demand.

For Anglicans, Christmas runs through the Feast of the Epiphany, thus
the 12 Days of Christmas. Some churches are known to keep some
decorations around until February 2, the feast of the Presentation of
Christ, the Purification of Mary, also called Candlemas.

Article by Canon James Rosenthal: Director of Communications ACO.