From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] Ugandan woman appointed Anglican Communion Observer at the United Nations

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Tue, 3 Oct 2006 12:43:15 -0400

Episcopal News Service Tuesday, October 3, 2006

Ugandan woman appointed Anglican Communion Observer at the United Nations

[Source: Anglican Communion News Service] Hellen Grace Wangusa, the United Nations Africa coordinator of the Millennium Development Goals, has accepted the call to be the next Anglican Observer at the UN.

The Rev. Canon Kenneth Kearon, secretary general of the Anglican Communion, in consultation with the Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr. Rowan Williams, announced Wangusa's appointment on October 3.

She will begin her work as Anglican Observer in January 2007, based at the Episcopal Church Center in New York.

"I am certain Hellen Wangusa possesses the professional and personal qualities needed for this unique and important role at the UN afforded to the Anglican Communion," Williams said. "We are privileged in having an Observer in place and I believe Hellen's gifts of leadership, together with her considerable experience in Uganda and Kenya, will be helpful to her and to the wider Anglican Communion in the critical days ahead for the UN."

Wangusa's appointment follows the retirement last July of the former UN observer, Archdeacon Taimalelagi Fagamalama Tuatagaloa-Leota. The Rev. Canon Douglas Renegar has been serving as interim Anglican Observer.

Full story and photograph:

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_78332_ENG_HTM.htm