From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ABCUSA: Two African Leaders Address Faith And Politics At AABF/BWA Conference

From "Jayne, Andy" <Ajayne@ABC-USA.org>
Date Mon, 9 Oct 2006 15:20:56 -0400

VALLEY FORGE, PA (ABNS 10/9/06)-Leaders from International Ministries (IM) were among dozens of Baptists who gathered at the joint conference of the All Africa Baptist Fellowship (AABF) and the Baptist World Alliance (BWA) outside of Nairobi, Kenya to hear from two African government leaders living out the challenging intersection of political leadership and Christian faith.

Nigerian President Olusegun Obasanjo opened this joint AABF general assembly and BWA "Living Water" evangelism conference on Sunday, Oct. 8, telling dozens of African Baptist leaders in prepared remarks, "Our real challenge as Christians today in Africa is how can we effectively be light and salt within the dark and tasteless corners of our communities and societies?"

Obasanjo, who is Baptist, said to be truly Christian in Africa is to work to make "instability, hunger, poverty, disease and underdevelopment things of the past to our continent." Obasanjo challenged the church in Africa to be "reinventing itself as a relevant, progressive institution, and a partner with the [African Union]."

Those remarks were followed on Monday, Oct. 9 by Azarias Ruberwa Maniwa, Vice President of the Democratic Republic of the Congo, who said Christian leaders in church and society must demonstrate the highest level of integrity. Maniwa, who is the president of the Congolese Rally for Democracy (RCD) party, was one of over 30 candidates in the first round of presidential elections in Congo this summer -- finishing sixth. He said he is still weighing his options, including whether to support either of the two candidates left for an Oct. 29 run-off election, or his future role in any subsequent government.

"I'll be needed," Maniwa said, but added, "whatever happens, I am going to stay truly attached to the Lord with integrity."

Maniwa, like Obasanjo of Nigeria, admitted several political problems in Congo including sexual violence against women, corruption in the judiciary, and a country rich in mineral resources yet with widespread, abject poverty. However, he asked delegates to pray for a successful run-off, saying of the presidential election, "this is not a small thing." There has been violence between factions supporting the two candidates, which include current leader Joseph Kabila. Maniwa said he had tried to mediate between the factions. "The biggest fear of the people is that whoever loses will cause great conflict in the country. If we can get through this important moment without hostilities, the hope is that a newly elected movement can move ahead."

Leaders in attendance from International Ministries responded positively, yet cautiously to the remarks from the two political leaders.

"I can appreciate that these leaders -- heads of state -- value the place of the church in civil society, and want us to be partners for the good of all," said Rev. Charles Jones, acting executive director of IM. "In our attempts to do global mission, we see ourselves as positive contributors, along with our local partners in any of the countries in which we serve or support, including Nigeria, Congo, and many other countries on the continent."

Rev. Eleazar Ziherambere, IM's area director for Africa, said he appreciated Maniwa's continued openness to the presence of missionaries in the Congo. "We have over 100 years of history in Congo, along with our partner, the Baptist Community of Congo. For me, it was significant recognition that this vice president would value and see a continued role of support and solidarity for mission-minded churches like American Baptists in his country." This history was recently recounted in IM's newly published 2006 Mission Study Guide on the DRC.

Both Jones and Ziherambere emphasized as an outside organization, which sees its primary role as support to national denominations, IM takes no political position in any country, but "we support the efforts of our partners to be prophetic witnesses of Jesus Christ for justice with mercy, peace without suppression, and economic opportunity instead of exploitation." The mission agency's monthly newsletter, the IM Update, will focus on ministry in DRC in light of presidential elections in its upcoming edition.

Jones, a native of Liberia who served many years in Baptist denominational leadership in that worn-torn country, said he was hopeful that the political presence at the AABF conference would push leaders to readily embrace the challenge of Obasanjo for the church to reinvent itself as relevant. "The gospel of Jesus Christ is relevant and transformative in every age. The gospel has flourished in Africa as independence movements and indigenous Christian leaders have arisen. I believe our Lord mandates a faith with works that improves the lives of people materially and spiritually. Toward that end," Jones said, "I hope organizations like BWA and IM will continue to be valued partners, undergirding the powerful witness of African Baptists all over the continent."

The All Africa Baptist Fellowship was established in 1982 as one of the six regional branches of the Baptist World Alliance. Its general assembly meets once every four years.

Andrew C. Jayne American Baptist Churches, USA Mission Resource Development http://www.abc-usa.org/