From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] Second bulletin insert related to Presiding Bishop investiture ready for use

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Tue, 31 Oct 2006 15:40:51 -0500

Episcopal News Service October 30, 2006

Second bulletin insert related to Presiding Bishop investiture ready for use

[ENS] The second of two Sunday bulletin inserts about the prayer and celebrations surrounding the investiture and seating of Nevada Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori as the 26th Presiding Bishop of the Episcopal Church is available for use by congregations.

Designed for use in congregations on November 5, this second insert features Jefferts Schori's greeting to the Episcopal Church. In it she invites Church to widen 'shalom' by taking up U.N. Millennium Development Goals.

"Shalom has to do with the restoration of all creation to right relationship with God, so that the hungry are fed, the grieving comforted, the ill are healed, and prisoners set free," she writes in the insert. "The mission of the church, according to our Catechism, is to restore all people to unity with God and each other in Christ (Book of Common Prayer, page 855). That work of restoration and reconciliation frames all our ministry as Christians, whether we are students, parents, legislators, or farmers. We cannot be at one with our neighbors if some are starving or living in slums. The work of achieving the Millennium Development Goals is intimately wrapped up in the promises we make in the baptismal covenant to engage in God's mission."

This insert is intended for use on All Saints Sunday, one day after Jefferts Schori has been invested as the Church's 26th Presiding Bishop and the day of her official seating in Washington National Cathedral.

The inserts, available in English and Spanish, are posted on the ENS website at http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_77550_ENG_HTM.htm.

The first insert, which many congregations used in their October 29 bulletins, is also available at this link.

The inserts are black-and-white and come in two formats: half of an 8.5" by 11" sheet double-sided and a full 8.5" by 11" one-sided. The inserts are in PDF format so that may be downloaded for easy duplication and insertion into a congregational service leaflet.

ENS is working to supply French versions of both weeks' inserts.