From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELO] Newslink: July 1 bulletin insert examines Independence Day, the Episcopal Church in American H

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Wed, 27 Jun 2007 21:46:45 -0400

Episcopal Life Online Newslink June 27, 2007

Episcopal Life Online is available at http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife.

Today's ELO Newslink includes:

* TOP STORY - July 1 bulletin insert examines Independence Day, the Episcopal Church in American History * DIOCESAN DIGEST - LOS ANGELES: Bishop, chancellor comment on court decision upholding diocese's claim to parish property * DIOCESAN DIGEST - NEWARK: Baseball field to be named after retired bishop * DIOCESAN DIGEST - PENNSYLVANIA: Historic church plans Independence Day commemoration * DIOCESAN DIGEST - VIRGINIA: U2charist inspires worshippers, new bishop * WORLD REPORT - BRITAIN: Church racial justice head warns on immigration fears * SPIRITUAL REFLECTION - Fifth Sunday after Pentecost (Proper 8) - Year C [BCP]

_____________________

TOP STORIES

Episcopal Life This Week: Bulletin Insert for July 1, 2007

With the Fourth of July approaching, Episcopal Life Bulletin Inserts examine Independence Day and the Episcopal Church in American History.

Bulletin inserts are available at

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/78650_8852_ENG_HTM.htm

_____________________

DIOCESAN DIGEST

LOS ANGELES: Bishop, chancellor comment on court decision upholding diocese's claim to parish property http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_87361_ENG_HTM.htm

NEWARK: Baseball field to be named after retired bishop http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_87320_ENG_HTM.htm

PENNSYLVANIA: Historic church plans Independence Day commemoration http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_87363_ENG_HTM.htm

VIRGINIA: U2charist inspires worshippers, new bishop http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_87319_ENG_HTM.htm

More Diocesan news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_ENG_HTM.htm

_____________________

WORLD REPORT

BRITAIN: Church racial justice head warns on immigration fears http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_87345_ENG_HTM.htm

More World news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_ENG_HTM.htm

_____________________

SPIRITUAL REFLECTIONS

Fifth Sunday after Pentecost (Proper 8) - Year C [BCP] 1 Kings 19:15-16, 19-21; Psalm 16 or 16:5-11; Galatians 5: 1, 13-25; Luke 9:51-62

By Greg Rickel

[Episcopal Life] No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for the Kingdom of God. What kind of harsh statement is this? And exclusive, too. How about unrealistic? Undoable? Ridiculous? OK, maybe now we are getting carried away. But when you read this, do you have a nagging question in the back of your mind? "Then, who is ever fit for the Kingdom of God?" Even in this multitasking world we live in, with every possible organizational gadget we can possibly manufacture, most people metaphorically, "Put their hands to the plow" and then look back, or leave the plow all together!! If what this means is never failing faith, without doubt or regret, ever, then there might well be a new word for us all-denial. However, as is always the case, we would do well to try to read the whole story, from Luke and this 9th chapter, as well as the whole story of the Gospel. When we do both of those things we can see that the picture is bigger, as it almost always is. As in so many things in this life, we like to make this an either/or scenario. It's got to be one or the other. Can you say-Perspective?

But take a closer look at this text: instead of an "either/or," Jesus is really positing a "both/and." Notice that both of the poor souls that ask to go take care of other business are exclusive in their request as well. "Sure, I will follow you Lord, but first, let me go bury my father." And then another, "well sure I'll follow you Lord, would love to, but first let me go tell them good bye at home; I mean they are expecting me for dinner; it would be rude to just not show up!"

In both cases, and in many cases in this world as well, and the church is not excluded, the answer is, "Yes, Lord, I will follow, I will pray, I will give, I will work, I will whatever, BUT FIRST, I need to pay off my boat; I need to find a job; I need to get my taxes done; I need to get the clothes washed. It is the "But First" that seems to be key here.

Full reflection: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_87217_ENG_HTM.htm

More Spiritual Reflections: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

ELO provides information and resources which we consider to be of interest to our readers.

However, statements and opinions expressed in the articles and communications herein, are those of the author(s) and not necessarily those of ELO or the Episcopal Church.