From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS - Statement on Zimbabwe by the Most Reverend Thabo Makgoba

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Fri, 04 Jul 2008 10:59:01 -0700

Statement on Zimbabwe by the Most Reverend Thabo Makgoba

Posted On : July 4, 2008 12:07 PM | Posted By : Admin ACO
Related Categories: South Africa

ACNS: http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acns/news.cfm/2008/7/4/ACNS4420

Archbishop Thabo Makgoba of Cape Town called on the Southern African
Development Community to establish mechanisms in Zimbabwe to bring about
an end to political violence.

He also urged Zimbabwe's ruling Zanu-PF to recognise the legitimacy of
its political opponents.

The full text of his statement follows:

Statement by the Most Reverend Thabo Makgoba, Archbishop of Cape Town

"The African Union's resolution calling for negotiations to settle
Zimbabwe's political crisis is a welcome first step towards fulfilling
the AU's potential to work for an Africa without conflict.

"Now space must be created to ensure that the negotiations are
productive.

"Both parties have to be genuinely willing to address one another's
fears and aspirations. If the talks are to succeed, Zanu-PF needs to
recognise the legitimacy of the MDC. In addition, the talks will go
nowhere if Zimbabweans continue to live in terror of being attacked and
killed for not having red ink on their fingers.

"We acknowledge and give thanks for what the SADC mediation process has
delivered so far. However, it needs now to be expanded, and I urge SADC
to establish mechanisms on the ground in Zimbabwe to bring about a
climate free of political violence.

"We pray for negotiations between partners fully committed to finding
one another and ending the desperate suffering of their people. A
lasting settlement would breathe hope and transformation into our common
life in Southern Africa."

Item from: Office of the Anglican Archbishop of Cape Town

For photo please visit:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acns/news.cfm/2008/7/4/ACNS4420