From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Presiding Bishop, Lutheran Leaders Write to Presidential Candidates

From <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Wed, 9 Jul 2008 10:38:51 -0500

Title: ELCA Presiding Bishop, Lutheran Leaders Write to Presidential Candidates
ELCA NEWS SERVICE

>July 9, 2008

ELCA Presiding Bishop, Lutheran Leaders Write to Presidential Candidates
08-105-JB

CHICAGO (ELCA) -- Stating that Lutherans have a long history
and significant experience related to health and human services,
relief and development, and refugee protection and immigration,
four Lutheran leaders wrote to the major political party
candidates for U.S. President.  In their letter the leaders,
including the Rev. Mark S. Hanson, presiding bishop, Evangelical
Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), suggested specific policy
priorities and urged presidential leadership on a series of
topics.

The six-page letter, released July 8, was delivered recently
to the presidential campaigns of U.S. Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz.,
and U.S. Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill.  Joining Hanson in signing the
letter were Ralston H. Deffenbaugh Jr., president, Lutheran
Immigration and Refugee Service; the Rev. John A. Nunes,
president, Lutheran World Relief; and Jill A. Schumann, president
and chief executive officer, Lutheran Services in America.  All
but Hanson are based in Baltimore.

Lutheran ministries reach every state and more than 60
countries, serving "millions of the most vulnerable people" in
the United States and the world each year, the Lutheran leaders
wrote.

"The Scriptures are clear about God's concern for and
solidarity with people living in poverty and on the margins of
society," the Lutheran leaders wrote. "They are equally clear
that God calls us to be stewards of creation."  The leaders said
Lutherans bring into the public square "a commitment to service
for the well-being of all of God's children and a faith
conviction that government is an important catalyst in God's work
of restoring peace, achieving economic justice and protecting the
environment."

"The record of effective and transformative work by Lutheran
organizations demonstrates our belief that people of faith can
help change the world in practical ways. Our broad and long-
standing experience also teaches us that our faith-based response
to human need is enhanced and more effective when supported by
government with the wisdom and will to provide resources to
fulfill its basic constitutional mandate to protect the well-
being of all its citizens," the Lutheran leaders wrote.

The letter addresses economic insecurity and poverty; global
warming and energy policy; fair and humane immigration and
refugee policy; international poverty, development and disease;
and conflict resolution and peace building.  The Lutheran leaders
called on whoever is elected to engage and act on a number of
policy points related to these topics.

"Thank you for your consideration of these policy
priorities," the letter concluded. "We look forward to the
opportunity to discuss them with you and to working with your
administration to improve lives around the world. We acknowledge
and admire your endurance and vision during this long campaign
for our highest office. Please know that we pray for you and your
work on behalf of the American people."

>---

The full text of the letter to the presidential candidates
is at
http://archive.ELCA.org/bishop/messages/candidatesletter.html on
the ELCA Web site.

For information contact: