From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELD] Prayers for the Lambeth Conference and the bishops in attendance / Episcopal youth get fired u

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Fri, 11 Jul 2008 14:47:12 -0400

Episcopal Life Online is available at  http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife.

>Today's Episcopal Life Daily includes:

* TOP STORY - Prayers for the Lambeth Conference and the bishops in
attendance
* TOP STORY - Episcopal youth get fired up for faith and mission
* TOP STORY - Episcopal/Presbyterian dialogue moves on with General  Assembly
action
* PEOPLE - Barbara Holliman retires as ECF's capital campaigns director
* PEOPLE - Nevin Brown to leave IPSL for Achieve Inc.
* EDUCATION - Faith-inspired programs at Kanuga offer new skills for  artists
* OPINION - Bishops! Remember William White while at Lambeth
* ARTS - Deadline extended for choral setting competition
* DAYBOOK - July 14: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History
* CATALYST - "Folk Mass" from Gloriæ Dei Cantores

>_____________________

>TOP STORIES

Prayers for the Lambeth Conference and the bishops in attendance

[Episcopal News Service] The following prayer cycle for the Lambeth
Conference has been written by John Gay and Mary Caulfield of St. James'
Episcopal Church in Cambridge, Massachusetts, assisted by the Rev. Ian
Douglas of Episcopal Divinity School, member of the Lambeth Conference
Design Group, and the Rev. Holly Lyman Antolini, St. James' rector.

St. James' has a long history of involvement with active mission around  the
world, with missionaries currently serving in Ecuador and Burundi.

Gay taught for 40 years in Liberia and South Africa, among other places,  and
his wife, Judy, was the first woman ordained a priest in Lesotho.  Caulfield
volunteers with the Episcopal/Anglican Church of Brazil and during a  mission
trip this summer she will introduce Brazilian Anglicans to the  children's
religious formation programs Godly Play and Catechesis of the Good  Shepherd.

Prayer cycle available at

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_98883_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Episcopal youth get fired up for faith and mission

Bonnie Anderson underscores importance of community, relationship

>By Joe Bjordal

[Episcopal News Service] Following a day of arrivals on July 8 and an
evening welcome program that included a challenge from the Presiding  Bishop,
more than 850 youth attending the 2008 Episcopal Youth Event (EYE) in  San
Antonio began an intensive, five-day program on July 9 that focuses on  faith
and mission.

The high school-aged student delegates are joined by more than 300 adult
sponsors and resource persons for the 10th triennial youth gathering of  the
Episcopal Church on the campus of Trinity University. The gathering  includes
participants from all nine provinces of the Episcopal Church, including
delegates from Central America and Europe.

Jimmy Grosso, from the Diocese of Central New York, said EYE is truly a
global gathering.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_98880_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Episcopal/Presbyterian dialogue moves on with General Assembly action

General Convention due to consider expansion of mission relationship

>By Mary Frances Schjonberg

[Episcopal News Service] Participants in the Presbyterian Church  (U.S.A.)
218th General Assembly recently agreed to move forward in a dialogue  with
the Episcopal Church aimed at encouraging closer relationships between
congregations of the two denominations.

The agreement, which will be considered by the 76th General Convention  in
July 2009, would allow Presbyterian and Episcopal clergy to perform
ministerial functions in each other?s congregations "when requested  and
approved by the diocesan bishop and local presbytery." It stops short of
being a full communion agreement.

The General Assembly's action must still be ratified by a simple  majority of
the denomination's 173 regional presbyteries. That ratification should  be
complete by the General Assembly's next meeting in 2010. The  denomination's
Committee on Ecumenical Relations is to oversee the continuing  conversation
on the agreement and report to the 220th General Assembly in 2012.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_98879_ENG_HTM.htm

More Top Stories: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife

>_____________________

>PEOPLE

Barbara Holliman retires as ECF's capital campaigns director

[Episcopal Church Foundation] The Episcopal Church Foundation
(http://www.episcopalfoundation.org) has announced that Barbara  Holliman,
director of capital campaigns, is retiring. Since joining ECF, Holliman  has
helped Episcopal congregations, dioceses, and related organizations  raise
$40 million for programs, property, and outreach.

Holliman was previously CEO of Holliman Associates, where she and her
husband, Glenn Holliman, served the Episcopal Church for more than 20  years,
and where she developed the Discern-Study-Ask method of conducting  capital
campaigns.

At her recent retirement luncheon, Holliman reflected on her work with  ECF.
"The really great thing has been that in addition to providing  congregations
with capital campaign assistance, we could also offer a full spectrum of
fundraising and leadership resources to help parishes pursue their  mission
and ministry," she said. "This is a very holistic approach that can be
tailored to meet the specific needs of any congregation. I retire  knowing
that the work I began will continue."

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_98890_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

>Nevin Brown to leave IPSL for Achieve Inc.

[Episcopal News Service] Nevin C. Brown will step down as president of  the
International Partnership for Service-Learning and Leadership (IPSL),  based
at the Episcopal Church Center in New York City, to become director of  the
post-secondary initiative at Achieve Inc., a Washington D.C.-based  education
policy organization.

Brown has been an active member of the Episcopal Church Center community  and
in his parish, St. Ignatius of Antioch Episcopal Church, on the Upper  West
Side. He currently serves on the boards of the Colleges and Universities  of
the Anglican Communion (CUAC), Association of Episcopal Colleges (AEC),
Friends of Cuttington University, and the Bible and Common Prayer Book
Society.

He previously served as the dean of Academic Programs for IPSL. He holds  a
M.A. in American History from the University of Virginia (Minor Field:  Early
Modern European History) and a B.A. in History from the University of
California, Santa Barbara.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_98888_ENG_HTM.htm

More People: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>EDUCATION

Faith-inspired programs at Kanuga offer new skills for artists

[Kanuga Conferences] For centuries, Christian faith has inspired artists  and
artisans. Upcoming conferences at Kanuga Conferences in Hendersonville,
North Carolina, help beginners and experienced artists create meaningful
expressions as varied as needlework, pottery, choral singing and icon
writing. Kanuga participants can learn new skills from a gifted staff,  grow
spiritually and meet people who share their interests at these  arts-related
programs.

Liturgical Arts XI, Holy Works for Holy Places, August 24-29 -- For  choir
singers and directors, church needle workers, weavers, quilters and  potters,
this is an opportunity to create a beautiful work of art for your church  or
your own enjoyment. With a staff of experts, this gathering renews the
spirit, enriches the mind and inspires hands and voices.

Icon Writing with Teresa Harrison, September 20-26, Sacred Images, and
November 15-21, A Glimpse of the Kingdom -- Use acrylic paint, gold leaf  and
prayerful meditation to write (paint) an ancient religious image.  Instructor
Teresa Harrison of Jacksonville, Florida, has studied with master
iconographers and teaches at churches and retreat centers.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/78650_98892_ENG_HTM.htm

More Education: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80263_93222_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>OPINION

Bishops! Remember William White while at Lambeth

>By Timothy B. Safford

[Episcopal Life] As always, July 17 is the feast day for William White,
first Presiding Bishop and primary architect of the Episcopal Church's
unique form of governance. This year, July 17 finds the bishops of the
Episcopal Church who are attending the Lambeth Conference beginning a
retreat with other Anglican bishops. As Lambeth commences, I pray our
bishops remember the "wisdom, patience and a reconciling temper" of  Bishop
White, and call again White's vision for a church both democratic and
catholic to lead Christ's church "from turmoil and confusion" into "ways  of
stability and peace."

There is as much turmoil and confusion today in the Episcopal Church as
220-plus years ago. For in 1782, William White proposed a form of church
government as revolutionary as the new nation itself. Bishops would be
chosen by ballot, and votes of the laity would be included. Further, our
church would administer itself through democratic legislative  conventions,
both local and national. In White's vision, the new Episcopal Church  would
not be imposed from on high by bishops. Rather, the apostolic authority
required to build a new church and provide its sacraments would rise up  from
the baptized through their mutual consent to have a bishop lead them.

While the crisis in the Anglican Communion is often characterized as  being a
dispute over homosexuality and the authority of Holy Scripture, I see it  as
a centuries-old debate between a monarchial administration of apostolic
authority versus a democratic sharing of that authority.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_98884_ENG_HTM.htm

More Opinion: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>ARTS

Deadline extended for choral setting competition

>By Jerry Hames

[Episcopal Life] The deadline for entries to an international  competition
for choral anthem settings, based on texts or tunes by women found in  the
hymnal supplement "Voices Found," has been extended to December 31, Lisa
Neufeld Thomas, director of the Women's Sacred Music Project, announced  this
month.

A total of $6,000 in prizes may be awarded for the top entries. The  winning
compositions will be performed November 14, 2009, at a Voices Found
symposium at Daylesford Abbey in Paoli, Philadelphia. The venue will be  an
ecumenical event sponsored by the Philadelphia-based Women's Sacred  Music
Project and the Roman Catholic Daylesford Abbey.

Inspired by the 12th-century abbess and composer Hildegard of Bingen,  the
project's mission is to support, develop and perform sacred music by,  for
and about women at the highest standard of excellence, said Neufeld  Thomas
of Philadelphia, president of the organization since its 1996 inception.  It
sponsors a small ensemble of singers, the Lady Chapel Singers, because  it
first began to sing in the Lady Chapel of St. Mark's Episcopal Church in
Philadelphia. The group has recorded two CDs.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81827_98885_ENG_HTM.htm

More Arts: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81827_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>DAYBOOK

>On July 14, 2008...

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm
* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:
http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm
* Today in Prayer for Lambeth:
http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_98883_ENG_HTM.htm

Be present with the bishops and their spouses in their fellowship as  they
visit with the people of the Scottish Episcopal Church. Guide their  shared
worship and conversation, and grant that the spirit of welcome will
strengthen the bishops for the work of the conference.

* Today in History: On July 14, 1833, John Keble preached a landmark  sermon
at St. Mary's in Oxford and the Oxford Movement began in England.

>_____________________

>CATALYST

"Folk Mass" from Gloriæ Dei Cantores, by Gloriæ Dei Cantores,  conducted by
Elizabeth C. Patterson, CD, c. 2006, $18.95

[Paraclete Press] The complete choral works of Grammy Award-winning  composer
and violinist Mark O'Connor. This CD features his Folk Mass,  commissioned by
Gloriæ Dei Cantores, and written as a response to the events of  September
11, 2001; and Let Us Move for a cappella choir and violin obligato.

>Track list:

>1.  Let Us Move
>2.  Folk Mass
>3.  For You Are A People Holy To The Lord
>4.  Land of Canaan
>5.  Edification
>6.  Battle
>7.  Recompence
>8.  Affirmation

To order: Episcopal Books and Resources, online at
http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, or call 800-903-5544 -- or visit your
local Episcopal bookseller, http://www.episcopalbooksellers.org

More Catalyst: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/83842_ENG_HTM.htm