From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

CRCNA - Full-steam Ahead for the Rockies

From George Conklin <gconklin@igc.org>
Date Mon, 14 Jul 2008 17:00:43 -0400

Full-steam Ahead for the Rockies

July 14, 2008 -- Sunburned but gaining in strength, stamina and fellowship, Sea to Sea riders have begun the third week of their tour across the United States and part of Canada to raise awareness of and funds to fight poverty.

Riders this week will face the start of a nearly two week journey up and down the Rocky Mountains, on the way to next week's Celebration Rally in Salt Lake City, Utah, and the rally set for July 27 in Denver. Colo.

Sunday's rally was at a park in downtown in Boise, Idaho. Many of the Sea to Sea participants rode from their campsite to the service, where they celebrated their faith, listened to stories of personal struggle and prayed for a safe ride at a service co-sponsored by Valley Life Community Church, a Reformed Church in America congregation.

Also helping to sponsor the Celebration Rally was the Boise Rescue Mission, which offers a Celebrate Recovery program to help people who are addicted to drugs or alcohol.

"Pastor Tom Katsma gave the message on peace as one of the nine gifts of the Holy Spirit," says Claire Elgersma, spokesperson for the tour in her blog. "He shared with us the story of Jesus and his disciples in the boat and how Jesus calmed the sea when the waves threaten to overcome the boat. He reminded us that we are never alone and God the Father is always with us no matter where we are and his angels surround us at all times. We do not need to worry or be afraid."

The service included the testimony of a man named John who spoke about "Christ redeeming his life after 15 years of heavy methadone use. He shared with us about the benefits of Celebrate Recovery Program and encouraged people to get involved in their own communities with this program as it has a powerful affect," says Elgersma.

Louis Bosma., of Aylmer, Ont., says that he spoke to several people in Julia Davis Park, the site of the service, about why he and others are riding in the tour, which is sponsored by the Christian Reformed Church in North America in partnership with the Reformed Church in America. Among those he met was Simon, a homeless man who had bloodshot eyes and a backpack slung over his shoulder.

"What a sad story. He has so much to offer but alcohol has been tearing his life apart. We invited him to stay for the service and for lunch afterward. He did, though he did not want to sit with us during the service."

Cynthia Aukema, of Chatham, Ont., says that Valley Life Community Church was founded about 10 years ago. "It has around 100 members. We were able to interact with several members from the church and share with them some of our experiences along the route. The service was wonderful and just like last week, we more than doubled their church attendance. Afterwards they treated us to a hamburger lunch with chips and pasta salads on the side."

The service in the park was a welcome respite from the trek, and especially the mountains, that loom ahead in coming days.

"This week will likely be the most challenging yet. We're still heading through the desert and temperatures are hot. The daily rides are also longer and as a result most riders will not be able to finish before the heat of the day as we were able to do this past week," writes Joshua Krabbe, of Calgary, Alta., in his blog.

"Actually though, as the daily riding is turning more and more into a routine, the less natural it is to make concessions for this and that. A spirit of camaraderie among the cyclists depends heavily on our intention to do so."

Two weeks in the ride and "everyone is tanned or burnt because of the constant sun. This is most evident when we change into clothes other than cycling attire such as bathing suits. Stripes of brown and white are revealed everywhere," writes Bill Wybenga, of Brampton, Ont., in his blog.

Like Krabbe, Wybenga says that a sense of community is developing between riders "that reaches across the traditional age barriers."

The journey is rugged, but is has been fun. At the same time, though, people might wonder what does the tour have to do with fighting poverty, asks Lou Havemen, of Grand Rapids, Mich., in his blog.

"There were two people to whom I gave cards and one who said they would contribute to the cause. Who knows? It does make a huge impression with 140 bicyclists riding into these small towns."

Chris Meehan, CRC Communications

Chris Meehan
News and Media Relations
Christian Reformed Church in North America
www.crcna.org