From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELD] Triennial Episcopal Youth Event builds relationships for growth and leadership / Blogging Bish

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Tue, 15 Jul 2008 16:53:00 -0400

Episcopal Life Online is available at  http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife.

>Today's Episcopal Life Daily includes:

* TOP STORY - Triennial Episcopal Youth Event builds relationships for
growth and leadership
* LAMBETH CONFERENCE - Blogging Bishops begin The Lambeth Journal
* WORLD REPORT - ENGLAND: I am not coming to Lambeth to protest, New
Hampshire Bishop Robinson says
* OPINION - Lambeth unplugged: Changes in the daily schedule may help
bishops in their unique vocation
* DAYBOOK - July 16, 2008: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History
* CATALYST - Acts for Everyone - Part Two, Chapters 13-28

>_____________________

>TOP STORIES

Triennial Episcopal Youth Event builds relationships for growth and
leadership

>By Joe Bjordal

[Episcopal News Service, San Antonio] Locked arm in arm, row by row,  1,200
Episcopalians swayed to strains of "You are glorious" and "Here am I  Lord"
late on the evening of July 12 in Laurie Auditorium at Trinity  University in
San Antonio, Texas. The scene was the emotional and teary-eyed  conclusion to
the 2008 Episcopal Youth Event (EYE), which brought together more than  850
high-school-aged young people, along with their adult sponsors and other
resource persons from all nine provinces of the Episcopal Church for the
triennial six-day gathering.

The service was a vivid reminder of what Bonnie Anderson, president of  the
House of Deputies, had told the delegates two days earlier
(http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_98880_ENG_HTM.htm): EYE and its  2008
theme, "Sown in the Heart of Christ," is about relationships.

"It's about us, as disciples of Jesus in relationship with him and in
relationship with each other. It's about the seeds that have already  begun
to grow in us as individuals and in a Christian community," she said.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_98991_ENG_HTM.htm

More Top Stories: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife

>_____________________

>LAMBETH CONFERENCE

>Blogging Bishops begin The Lambeth Journal

A team of Blogging Bishops have begun their contributions to The Lambeth
Journal at
http://episcopalchurch.typepad.com/lambethjournal

The bishops will include Sean Rowe of Northwestern Pennsylvania (lead
blogger); Laura Ahrens, suffragan of Connecticut; Marc Andrus of  California;
Larry Benfield of Arkansas; Sergio Carranza, assistant of Los Angeles;  Neff
Powell of Southwestern Virginia; Bavi Edna "Nedi" Rivera, suffragan of
Olympia; and Jean Zache Duracin of Haiti.

Comprehensive written and multimedia coverage of the 2008 Lambeth  Conference
and Spouses Conference will be provided by Episcopal Life Online  throughout
the July 16-August 3 gatherings in Canterbury, England. Coverage is
available at http://www.episcopalchurch.org/97360_ENG_HTM.htm

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_98989_ENG_HTM.htm

More World news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>OPINION

>Lambeth unplugged

Changes in the daily schedule may help bishops in their unique vocation

>By Douglas LeBlanc

[Episcopal Life] Just after Memorial Day, I checked on the Lambeth
Conference's precise countdown clock, which said that a mere 49 days, 20
hours, 15 minutes and 52 seconds remained before the gathering would
convene. All those numbers made me thankful that, barring a miracle in  my
career path, I would not be among the hapless reporters trying to wring  news
from this event.

As with so much in the Anglican Communion these days, there is no  shortage
of aggrieved parties in the runup to Lambeth. The provinces of Nigeria,
Rwanda and Uganda have chosen to absent themselves. Bishop Gene Robinson  has
not been invited, although he will be a regular presence in Canterbury.
Several other bishops have not been invited, including those consecrated  by
African primates to serve breakaway congregations in the United States.

Instead of meeting in plenary session, bishops will gather in "indaba"
groups (this Zulu word, the conference website explains, "refers to a  small
group that gathers, without time pressures and constraints, to 'chew  over'
important issues"). I welcome that change, to the extent that it gives
greater voice to bishops who do not speak Robert's Rules of Order as a
second language or who are shy. The same change leaves me worried for my
fellow journalists, who tend not to be admitted to a room when bishops
gather in anything more intimate than a plenary session.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_98996_ENG_HTM.htm

More Opinion: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>DAYBOOK

>On July 16, 2008...

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm

>* Today in Prayer for Lambeth:

Guide and protect all who are traveling to the Lambeth Conference in
Canterbury, that they may be safe in all things from harm or accident,  and
give a spirit of wisdom and warmth to those who welcome them.

* Today in History: On July 16, 1986, Los Angeles Bishop Robert C.  Rusack
died.

>_____________________

>CATALYST

"Acts for Everyone - Part Two, Chapters 13-28" from Westminster John  Knox
Press, by N. T. Wright, 268 pages, paperback, c. 2008, $16.95

[Westminster John Knox Press] Renowned scholar N.T. Wright brings us the
latest volume in his acclaimed For Everyone series of New Testament
commentaries: Acts, part 2. This brief guide offers a short passage of  text,
in Wright's own accessible translation, followed by a highly readable  and
thought-provoking discussion. Background information about the text,
explanations about its meaning, and thoughts as to how it is relevant to  our
lives today are woven together seamlessly in Wright's gracious and  inviting
style.  A glossary is provided at the back of the book to provide  further
explanation of less common words and phrases. This book is useful for
Christian education classes for both youth and adults, as a preaching  aide,
in confirmation classes, and as a daily devotional.

To order: Episcopal Books and Resources, online at
http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, or call 800-903-5544 -- or visit your
local Episcopal bookseller, http://www.episcopalbooksellers.org

More Catalyst: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/83842_ENG_HTM.htm