From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS Archbishop of Canterbury Dr Rowan Williams opens Lambeth Conference

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Thu, 17 Jul 2008 17:55:08 -0400

The Archbishop of Canterbury Dr Rowan Williams opens the Lambeth Conference

The Archbishop of Canterbury Dr Rowan Williams opened the Lambeth  Conference to the sounds of South African Alleluias and prayers for the  guidance of the Holy Spirit. He spoke to the gathering of Anglican  Bishops from around the world addressing the first plenary session of  the Lambeth Conference yesterday (July 16) He stressed that the  Conference had a very strong emphasis on drawing together round the  Bible and had been designed as a place "in which every voice can be  heard and in which we build Christian relationship".

ACNS 4426: http://www.aco.org/daily/news.cfm/2008/7/17/ACNS4426

The Spouses Conference opens

The Spouses Conference opened today as the delegates gathered for the  first time. The 550 or so spouses are meeting in the huge sports hall  which has been transformed into an attractive caf=E9 style meeting room  to facilitate the conversation.

After worship led by the Revd Rose Hudson-Wilkin (London diocese) who is  chaplain to the Spouses Conference, Mrs Jane Williams greeted the  spouses and said how much she was looking forward to the next two weeks.  She thanked her international planning group who had been such a help in  forming the shape of the spouses' conference, and said that she felt  upheld by prayer from all around the world.

ACNS 4427: http://www.aco.org/daily/news.cfm/2008/7/17/ACNS4427

Bishops' Retreat

The bishops of the Lambeth conference will enter into retreat today,  continuing a practice as ancient as Christianity itself.

For the next two days, the bishops will follow perhaps the most common  model for retreats. The Archbishop of Canterbury will give several  addresses to the bishops. After each address, considerable time will be  set aside for silent prayer and reflection. This time is intended to  kindle the Holy Spirit in the hearts and minds of the bishops as they  begin the decennial Lambeth Conference.

ACNS 4428: http://www.aco.org/daily/news.cfm/2008/7/17/ACNS4428

Thought for the Day from Bishop Philip Poole

Incredible Hospitality

The laughs and sighs of the many bishops and spouses gathering to  register for the Lambeth Conference gave us all a chance to simply relax  and be patient, realising God may have some great revelations for us all  in the days ahead, starting with the traditional English queue. Old  friends embraced, people shook hands and greeted new people with a  warmth and sense of solidarity as the queue moved inch by inch. Spouses  compared notes, hat boxes were seen in abundance and some just took the  opportunity to sit on the grass and wait!

ACNS 4429: http://www.aco.org/daily/news.cfm/2008/7/17/ACNS4429

Daily Prayer

Father of all, from whom every family on earth takes its name, we give  you thanks and praise for calling us from every nation and language into  one people.

As we meet together as Spouses at the Lambeth Conference, fill us with  awe at the privilege you give us of belonging together and learning from  each other. As we share the news of your saving work in all our lives,  equip us, teach us and us inspire us, we pray, and make us ready to be  your servants in the world you love.

May we who have been most wonderfully called into the Body of Christ be  filled with the power of the Holy Spirit, so that we may preach the good  news of your kingdom to the ends of the earth.

We ask this in the name of Jesus Christ, our Lord. Amen.

Jane Williams
Convenor of the Spouses' Conference

ACNS 4430: http://www.aco.org/daily/news.cfm/2008/7/17/ACNS4430