From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[UMNS-ALL-NEWS] UMNS# 319-Krockpot Brigade offers food, caring for cancer

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Mon, 28 Jul 2008 17:18:52 -0500

NOTE: Photographs and video are available at http://umns.umc.org.

>By John Gordon*

BYRON, Calif. (UMNS)-While Patty Pulley's husband was being treated for
cancer, she often opened her front door to find someone bringing dinner
for her family.

"It was a big help because being busy with the five kids and ... going
back and forth to the hospital, it was one day a week that I didn't have
to worry about (cooking)," says Pulley, who is raising her
grandchildren.

"I knew that the meal was going to be there. I knew it was going to be
good," she says. "I wouldn't have to worry about anything."

The weekly meals were delivered to her home by members of the Krockpot
Brigade, a ministry of Byron United Methodist Church. Since its launch
in 2006, Krockpot volunteers have prepared more than 1,500 meals for
cancer patients and their families.

"We often say when you're diagnosed with cancer, it's like a bomb going
off in the living room," says church member Jan Page. "Everybody is
touched by it."

A two-time cancer survivor, Page founded the church's Kaleidoscope
program, which includes the Krockpot Brigade, support groups and other
cancer-related services.

"What we try to do is provide the meal the day the person goes to chemo
or to radiation, so that no one has to worry about it when they get home
at night," explains Sharon Bonney, who co-chairs the meals ministry.

"We offer them hope," adds Sandra Baque, the other co-chair. "We offer
them connection and friendship. And we do it with kindness and love."

The group has recruited more than 40 volunteer cooks, including
professional caterers. Ashley Dicksa likes to use recipes passed down
from her grandparents and mother.

"It gives me joy in seeing somebody else enjoy what they're eating and
maybe taking just a little bit of stress that they had for that day off
them," says Dicksa. "I feel like when you cook, it's something that
makes people happy."

The brigade serves more than healthy food, however. Volunteers also
encourage those receiving meals to take advantage of the other support
services at the church.

"The support group, I think, has literally been a lifesaver for a lot of
the caregivers who go and get support from other caregivers who are
there," says Bonney, whose mother died of cancer.  "And they realize
that they're not alone and they're not going through this by
themselves."

As part of the meals ministry, a weedy lot beside the church was cleared
last year for an organic garden to grow broccoli, tomatoes, cabbage and
other vegetables.

"It's a lot of fun to work out here and a very good group of people to
work with," says Jeff Lewis, who started the garden.

Kristine Davis is among those enjoying the harvests. She received meals
and visits after her daughter was diagnosed with leukemia. "The support
and the love from the Krockpot Brigade and from everyone helping, it's
just a tremendous help," says Davis.

For Patty Pulley, whose husband, Chuck, died in 2007, she is thankful
for the good food-and the compassion-of the Krockpotters.

"It's just like a Christmas gift," says Pulley. "They come in and they
give you the gift of caring."

*Gordon is a freelance producer in Marshall, Texas.

News media contact: Fran Coode Walsh, Nashville, Tenn., (615) 742-5470
or newsdesk@umcom.org.